cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

David against Goliath, the must ending story.

__Marc__
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Saturday April 15, 2023.

On July 13, 2022 PM proudly announced the self-service update: "Your Public Mobile experience just got an upgrade."

Since then, customers are forced to register a bank card to make a payment without being able to delete it like in the old system. Customers are obligated to contact support to request deletion of bank card informations.
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/update-or-remove-your-payment-card
I have 2 accounts, so twice a month I have to write to customer support, wait for their response, check that the task has been completed. When the agent does not respond us in an expeditious manner, that he has no prejudices, and that he has been adequately trained. The other possibility is to pay with a payment voucher. I used this method for a while but I prefer to pay with a credit card without going through an third party.
Telus chose to force customers to leave their bank card informations in their database. This very sensitive data that can give you big headaches in case of theft. It's a big mistake to no longer allow customers to delete bank card informations. Leaving our bank card informations on a server should remain a personal choice and not an obligation. I have never authorized Telus or its affiliates to retain my bank card informations beyond the transaction.
If you have any doubts, I invite you to read "SIM Swap Fraud"
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud
Depending on the case where someone loses and/or has their cell phone stolen, it is very easy to take possession of the self-service account by requesting a reset of the account password. Test it!
Since the update, I can no longer pay easily.
Since the update, I cannot enter the name of the city where I reside.
I contacted the service to mention these problems, many customers surely did the same. When the agent does not respond to us in an expeditious manner, that he has no prejudices, and that he has been adequately trained. And given the number of complaints, a quick self-service update is long overdue.

When a person becomes the target of scammers, then we understand the meaning of security negligence. Think about how you would do in the situation where someone takes over your customer account with your bank card on file. Whoops!

To understand, you have to be open and this openness allow you positive change.

What do these billionaire companies understand? That we are bank accounts? They offer us a bonus for registering a bank card. For what purpose?

Each telecom network has created subsidiaries to access different range of customers. A popularization would look like this.
Mother network: spend a lot on what you may not need.
Intermediate subsidiary: spend less but watch out for surprises.
Prepaid self-service subsidiary: spend less but we prefer that you look above.

We pay less because we use a self-service platform that empowers customers. If this platform is not up to the said service then Your Public Mobile experience just got an downgrade.

It's more than high time that all of this change for the better for everyone.

Cordially.
Marc

7 REPLIES 7

New accounts no longer get auto pay rewards while legacy accounts do. 

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am 

Haven't been here for a while so may have some catching up to do. 

What do u mean by elimination of the $2 auto-pay reward?

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Great idea! 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The changes made apply choice architecture to the benefit of the carrier.  I too do not like the idea that payment card removal requires a support ticket.  This is an artefact of the elimination of the $2 autopay reward.  Previously we were incentivized to keep a payment card in the account and enable autopay.  Now we are decentivize from removing the payment card by way of inconvenience.  In between, a data bonus was tried to incentivize autopay but it did not seem to have traction.  Be that as it may, it a free market we are allowed to vote with our feet at any time.  We can always complain about service improvements.  The fact that we are still here says this is where we belong.  Half smile to reduce emotional distress.

half smile.jpg

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@__Marc__ 

I couldn't agree with you more. However voicing your displeasure publicly can have its consequences. Just ask @darlicious et al. Lol....but really no laughing matter!

As mentioned by @dust2dust having a $0 credit gift card is an option but not to pay but to simply replace your credit card after payment and still earn the $2 autopay reward. I have many....and if you wish you can private message me I will happily supply you the details of one for your use.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Or use a prepaid card like Koho etc. I use that on my phone for all the small purchases we all do. But it doesn't expose the larger credit limit of my main credit card. Card frauds can be dealt with in all cases but at least the losses would be smaller for the prepaid card provider to deal with.

If you're on the old rewards program and prefer to have no registered card then you could use one of those visa gift cards after spending it all and then use vouchers or the real time payment option that some stores have. Then you still get the reward.

I certainly agree with you about the "new" site though. The caching problem is abysmal. The fact that it's ongoing after all this time would suggest they don't care or that it's intentional. They don't care that people don't see updated information. They don't care that people might make monetary decisions based on that false information. Monetary decisions that benefit the company, not the customer, which is its own kind of fraud perpetrated upon the customer.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@__Marc__ 

First, we are just customers like you.  So, open a ticket with PM and send them the letter, ask support to escalate and make sure your voice is heard

For the credit card on  My Account , as you know and you have been doing, , you just need to open a ticket with PM support. Once deleted, it will be deleted unless you add it back.

I guess you have been keep doing it because you have to add credit card back and pay.    What you can do is to pay by vouchers instead. You can buy vouchers from stores like Phamaprix / 711 / Shell.   You can load the vouchers via *611 or My Account. .  This could be a better solution in your situation 

Need Help? Let's chat.