cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap 3G phones by and by disappearing from the market

Natsu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is in reference to a thread about simple phones from last summer:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Dumbphones-recommendations/m-p/697525

In recent weeks the cheap but durable 3G flip phones made by Ushining (F 230) have become unavailable at Bestbuy, Walmart, and Amazon. At this time their "luxury version" (F280), which has a small added outside screen and is 35% more expensive, is still available at Amazon, while their straight body 3G phone (W580) had exactly one left in stock when I looked today.

3G phones becoming unavailable does not surprise me, though, considering that 3G service in the US has been turned off.

I am partial to the Ushining phones, because they have sturdier and more reliable keypads than the otherwise comparable Alcatel 392, which we used to use previously (the ones we have still work, but many keys have to be pressed repeatedly to get a reaction). Just thought I'd mention these things, in case someone is looking for a "dumbphone"... 🙂

4 REPLIES 4

Phonetic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Might also be in part because of the global chip shortage; specific chips needed to manufacture those phones become harder to come by and the price is up since everyone's trying to get their hands on it. It might not be feasible, parts- or cost-wise, to restock their non-luxury line for a while 😞

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Hopefully they start knocking down the price of 2 year old models since they seem to not be far off the 2022 phones. At least for samsung 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

One of my first watches was a wind up Cardinal brand one from Sears or Eatons. I now fancy this eco-drive one.

BED89CEC-7CD9-45C2-AE62-A9BDF8CBCE95.jpeg

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Natsu wrote:

in case someone is looking for a "dumbphone"... 🙂

Thank you for a great info but unfortunately these days everybody wants 'smart' phones and 'smart' appliances.

Wherever you look everybody has 'smart' watches you have to charge daily; black display - you have to shake it to see the time. About 50 years ago first LED watches appeared on the market. You had to press a button to see the time. Are we going back to that? Still prefer ordinary, automatic watch, no battery needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.