Did you mean: 

Alternative Service Providers

hance2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Very disappointed with PM.

Looking for alternative.

Must use Bell/Telus system.

Anyone have suggestions?

Send me a private message if you don't want to post here!

19 REPLIES 19

EltonB
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@hance2 Google Phonebox. They have a Telus plan, even though it offers less LTE GBs than Rogers plans.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hance2 wrote:

Thanks for your concern, everyone.

I have tried everything but forcing the phone off of LTE. I will do that right away.

Rogers' coverage isn't great here, neither is Eastlink, but there seems to be more towers going up all the time.

Fyi this phone, in this place, never had an issue until mid February 2021. Had great service from Telus, Koodo, and switched to Public late December.

The billing issue is resolved!!

@hance2 out of curiosity, what phone are you using? (Apologies if you've already said, but I don't see it listed here.)

If it has to be Bell/Telus network, then you have choices of Telus, Koodo, [PM], or Bell, Virgin, Lukcy.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hance2

Thanks for your concern, everyone.

I have tried everything but forcing the phone off of LTE. I will do that right away.

Rogers' coverage isn't great here, neither is Eastlink, but there seems to be more towers going up all the time.

Fyi this phone, in this place, never had an issue until mid February 2021. Had great service from Telus, Koodo, and switched to Public late December.

The billing issue is resolved!!

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hance2 wrote:

Very disappointed with PM.

Looking for alternative.

Must use Bell/Telus system.

Anyone have suggestions?

Send me a private message if you don't want to post here!

Just curious about the part I put in bold..... why is that.... does the Rogers network not cover your area, or something else? 🤔

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Lol....I must have a screw loose!

No argument from me..... 😜 😆

@hance2 wrote:

I keep having random calls go straight to voicemail. Usually if they call right back the calls go through. Not a problem on my end.

I've seen this occasionally, and my theory is that it's a failure when the phone has to switch from LTE to 3G (HSPA/WCDMA) for the phone call. You can try disabling LTE on your phone, and it will probably help. Otherwise, try toggling Airplane mode to help the phone re-establish a good mobile network connection.

Then I had a small billing issue that apparently can't be resolved to my satisfaction.

Care to describe this? Most of the time billing issues related to overpayments just go into available balance, and will just be used on your next 30-day plan renewal and the remainder will be charged to the credit card on file if on Autopay.

@Anonymous 

Lol....I must have a screw loose! What was I thinking?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : That one. I think it's technically called a fascinator though.

This is technically a fastener: 🙂

z10user4_4-1622436865619.png

@Anonymous wrote:

@hance2 :

[...]

And are you possibly in MB?

[...]

@Anonymous  Looks like you missed the second post... 😉

@hance2 wrote:

Atlantic Canada.

@hance2 

A slightly more accurate location might help us help you with the connection side of your query.

There are reports like this one, primarily from Atlantic Canada, that some of the new towers going up are LTE only.

Public Mobile needs 3G bands 2 and 5 for voice calls. So depending on what tower your phone is connecting to at the time of the call coming in, it might not be able to route it?

If that is the problem you'll need to switch to one of the first or second tier providers for VoLTE support (Telus, Koodo, Bell or Virgin).

Or as mentioned above, is it just a weak enough signal, and your phone's reaction time for switching to 3G just long enough that the call is considered rejected?

I have one spot, that I spend a fair amount of time at, where the signal is just inconsistent enough that I force the phone to 3G standby and my no-ring-directly-to-voicemail-missed-calls have gone from about 1 out of 3 to about 1 per month or less. (I manually switch back to LTE when I actually use data.... Yes, I know that the phone should be smart enough to figure this out, but it's no biggie for me.)

@Anonymous 

Technically a fastener.....but yes if I had to eat my hat that might be the easiest to choke down!😉

IMG_20210505_132258226.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

Edit: What kind of hat? I have over a hundred and there are some easier to digest than others.👒🎩👑?

@darlicious : How about your little white frilly one with the feather 🙂

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@hance2 

PM is Telus and utilizes Telus cell towers.

I am surprised you are having issues with PM with calls going to your voicemail as long as signals are good.

Maybe check your phone settings. Maybe the “Do Not Disturb” is enabled.

@hance2 

Your sim card could possibly need reprovisioning or an account reset by the moderators but try the following troubleshooting methods :

1. Reboot the phone.
  2. Check your do not disturb and call forwarding settings.
  3. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  4. Power off your phone. Remove your sim card for 15 minutes. Reinsert and reboot.

Has this issue started recently? Like since your last renewal or longer? There could be cell tower work in your area causing issues with your 3G network connectivity. (PM uses the 3G network for calls.) You can also try forcing your phone to use the 3G network only to see if your device is having problems switching from the 4G LTE network to 3G when a call comes in....so it defaults and sends it to voicemail instead.

As far as the billing issue....what is it? Moderators especially new ones are often wrong and you should seek a second opinion....after running it by the community first of course!😃

Edit: What kind of hat? I have over a hundred and there are some easier to digest than others.👒🎩👑?

hance2

I 'll eat my hat if the problem turns out to be at my end !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hance2 : The self-serve website can be finicky as they say around here. The community doesn't matter for cell service.

I wonder about your signal when you miss those calls. Edit: And are you possibly in MB? thanks @wetcoaster 

Maybe post screenshots of your Payment history here (not payment card) and overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

Maybe folks here might spot something.

hance2

Besides the suckie website and Community software? LOL

I keep having random calls go straight to voicemail. Usually if they call right back the calls go through. Not a problem on my end.

Then I had a small billing issue that apparently can't be resolved to my satisfaction.

It is nice that this topic wasn't deleted though!

crustylady
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What's happening to cause you so much need to move??

Care to share... or you just venting

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hance2 : What is making it disappointing for you?

hance2

Atlantic Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.