cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big scam from Public Mobile.

Tom19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

See below the email I received from PM moderator:

My name's Maria and I'm happy to assist you. 

I have reviewed your account and as you mentioned, I noticed that though there are 14 numbers showing in your referees there are $13 rewards credits listed.

It's important to mention that in order for you to receive the referer a friend rewards, all of your friends have to be active in our network with an active plan. 

When one of the referees isn't active only the rewards for active friends will reflect in your account. 

In case a friend that isn't currently active decides to resume his/her service, then you'd get the rewards applied at the next renewal date for that referee. 

In case that friends stay without an active plan for more than 90 calendar days, his account will be deactivated and that phone number will be removed out of your list of referees or in case one of your friends decides port out, it will also be removed out of your referee's list and the referral rewards will be adjusted so you'd get rewards only for active friend's in our network. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Warm regards, 

Maria L. 

Public Mobiel Moderator. 

This is not true and they are playing a game.

26 REPLIES 26

LOL..not just “A Scam” but a “BIG SCAM”! Yawn......

But this discussion once again brings up what a sad system we have for tracking our referrals. Yeah some of us dont care but I like as @popping mentioned trying t o provide after referral support to referrals who at least manny of them are friends after all. What better system for PM for their $1/month investment in the referral process than customers like @popping and myself who attempt to provide ongoing support to referrals which can only make PM look better in the eyes of consumers. BUT... the XXX-XXX-1234 format on the referral list (which USED to be the full phone number) makes it VERY DIFFICULT to keep track of them. Because of number changes and receiving several referral rewards close to each other etc. 

Quite some time ago this was discussed and I asked Teanna if there wasn’t a way they could give us the ability to tag on maybe up to 20 digits of info to each Referral XXX number or account. If we already know the friends phone number we can then add the full number to that customer on our referral list. Or put their name there etc. If we know the number already or we know the persons name it isn’t a privacy issue to record it. @Tiana replied “Great Idea, I will ask our software developers“ and you guessed it...i never heard another word about it.

Again, yes I know many dont care or try to keep track. But some of us do and this can ONLY be good for Public Mobile. Keeping the XXX-XXX-1234 format but with a customizable area for a tag doesn’t Ashe any problems that I can see. If a “friend” changes their number and doesn’t want us to know, the XXX-XXX-1234 Would change so we cant see their new number but it would still be tagged with Jim Smith so we can easily see that Jim Smith is still a referral on my account. I dont see the problem but of course getting anything done at PM isn’t very easy so it may well be too low of a priority. I just think they are losing out on further free support to customers, thats all.

AE_Collector

@gpixel wrote:

@darlicious I think If it's a port out, they don't send a text. account is closed and the number disappears from your list

I'd like to know, if a referral changes their number, will you lose the reward for that referral? 

I have had several “mystery” number changes on my referral list so number changes DO NOT result in any change to your referrals. Think how often a referral starts with a new PM number generating the referral for you then soon after they port in their existing number.

Maybe a suspension or lost/stollen is programmed to send the text but a port out being somewhat different doesn’t generate the test for some reason. Anything is possible at PM!

AE_Collector

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@FrostyButters 

We were hoping you could answer the question....if you used a referral code when you activated  did the friend who referred you get a text saying they lost a referral when you ported your number out?

There is supposed to a text message sent to the person who lost a referral. However, that text message is extemely unreliable in the sense that many times, Public Mobile never sends it. 

Remember that some people have blocked those types of texts or any texts from PM.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@FrostyButters 

Interesting.....that  was a common experience that pm fixed a few months ago and w  e had a spate of users complaining about their referrals going missing but hadn't . ğ (been long gone.... but the rewards continued   to pay out. I wonder if the delay in some accounts of that pm update to referrals that have not been removed are triggered by a port.

FrostyButters

When I ported out my wife's phone to Shaw Mobile (which I referred her), I did receive a txt. 

Previous to that I had not received a txt when referrals left for another provider. 

Strangely, I had 2 friends that had left PM several month previously and I still had the referral discounts applied to my account, until I ported out my wife's phone. 

Then all 3 discounts were removed.

@gpixel wrote:

@darlicious I think If it's a port out, they don't send a text. account is closed and the number disappears from your list

I'd like to know, if a referral changes their number, will you lose the reward for that referral? 

There absolutely is a text message sent out (that doesn't always get sent properly by Public) when a referrals ports out.  How do I know this? The "so sorry" or however they word it now messsages have been received by me at different times of day each time, meaning that that the person just finished porting out.  If it was a matter a customer's account being suspended and then eventually closed, the text message would come at the same time during that day for each occurance.

As for a referral changing the phone number, that doesn't make any difference.

@gpixel wrote:

@gpixel I would be very surprised if you lost the referral for a number change. I would say they are account specific like free stuff PM gives out from time to time. I haven't heard of anyone taking a "temp" number on sign up and using a referral code, then arranging to port their number and the referrer losing the reward.

@darlicious wrote:

@FrostyButters 

We were hoping you could answer the question....if you used a referral code when you activated  did the friend who referred you get a text saying they lost a referral when you ported your number out?

There is supposed to be a text message sent to the person who lost a referral. However, that text message is extemely unreliable in the sense that many times, Public Mobile never sends it. 

@FrostyButters 

FrostyButters

?

I no longer have service with PM since moving to Shaw Mobile's $0 a month pay by the gig plan..

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I didn't actually know till reading this that referred phone numbers partially list in your account, which is fine when you actually know the person. But many have used referral codes from strangers... Maybe they could narrow it down to the last 1 or 2 digits or something? I'm not a fan of spam calls lol. 

Actually my brother is on koodo (he actually got a port over offer, I never did) and they have a new thing now you can set it up so unknown callers have to push a number before the call will go thru. I hope PM enables that one day

@gpixel 

Well I'm not willing to test that out but maybe @FrostyButters was referred and can ask their friend if they got a text. Part of the fix of the referral glitch was the removal of phone numbers from the rewards section once the accounts became inactive and was cancelled.

@hinamirza wrote:

I am with pm for three years and I literally feel it’s best and fair company . My rewards and all things perfect 👌 

Best company? That depends on what you're looking for.

Cheapest? definitely if you have a lot of rewards

Perfect? Very far from it

hinamirza

I am with pm for three years and I literally feel it’s best and fair company . My rewards and all things perfect 👌 

@Tom19 I would like to know if a user has ported out will you receive a text? I just lost one of my referrals and didn't receive a text.. I know when an account is suspended you receive a message and the number is removed... 

@Tom19 

If you didn't recieve the two texts from pm saying you lost a referral (before renewal) and cha-ching you've referred a friend (after renewal) then you were not properly awarded all of your referral rewards. Take screenshots of your usage history before and after renewal to prove your point.

Edit: Or not. Pm texts don't show in your usage history.

@darlicious 

Great investigative work

@Tom19 

This is a great argument for you

Respond to the moderator with the link https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/Big-scam-from-Public-Mobile/m-p/594184/highli... 

@totalUser 

I just performed a test.... the phone number does disappear when using the lost/stolen feature. Instantly and the text is sent out and vice versa.Screenshot_20200916-140220~3.png

Screenshot_20200916-135826~2.png

Screenshot_20200916-140220~4.png

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Tom19 

It's nice to know that.

I assumed when friends are inactive they are removed from the list I didn't even dream that they would be kept on the list while inactive. This just adds more confusion, it would be nice to have the list clean.

I really don't think they would be trying to scam like that, I believe it is just a poor choice

BUT system does make mistakes and if you know your 14 referrals are active you should dispute this demand they let you know which one is dormant and ask that person to contact them with your referral number

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Tom19 

Login to your self-serve account.

The refer-a-friend box stated very clearly that you get $1 credit per referee per 30 days as long as your referee stay with PM.  If a referee does on renewal on the day before your next renewal day, you will not get the $1 for that referee.

"Refer a friend and take $1 off your payment every 30 days for every friend you refer for as long as they stay with us. Your friend will also receive a one-time BONUS $10 credit!"

This is the reason why I provide after activation support for all my referees so that they stay with PM.  I help them how to get their service working etc.

@Tom19 

If one of your referrals allows their plan to be suspended due to nonpayment or suspends using the lost stolen feature you will lose that monthly $1 reward until they renew their plan. If it is suspended during your renewal then you will not recieve the reward. They can be suspended for 29 days prior to your renewal and as long as they reactivate before your plan renews you will recieve the reward. You will be almost instantly informed in your account by the $1 being added to your rewards and by text message during the daytime and by noon et the next day for nightime activations and reactivations.

Screenshot_20200303-011958_Messages.jpg

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Tom19 if you follow what @dabr mentioned it will look like this

esjliv_0-1598444864917.png

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Tom19 wrote:

See below the email I received from PM moderator:

My name's Maria and I'm happy to assist you. 

I have reviewed your account and as you mentioned, I noticed that though there are 14 numbers showing in your referees there are $13 rewards credits listed.

It's important to mention that in order for you to receive the referer a friend rewards, all of your friends have to be active in our network with an active plan. 

When one of the referees isn't active only the rewards for active friends will reflect in your account. 

In case a friend that isn't currently active decides to resume his/her service, then you'd get the rewards applied at the next renewal date for that referee. 

In case that friends stay without an active plan for more than 90 calendar days, his account will be deactivated and that phone number will be removed out of your list of referees or in case one of your friends decides port out, it will also be removed out of your referee's list and the referral rewards will be adjusted so you'd get rewards only for active friend's in our network. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Warm regards, 

Maria L. 

Public Mobiel Moderator. 

This is not true and they are playing a game.

@Tom19   PM fixed a glitch in their system a few months ago which allowed customers to receive RAF rewards even after some referrals had left PM. 

You can check how many of your referred friends are still with PM by clicking on My Rewards and then the arrow which should show the last four digits of all your referred friends.  If you see all 14 numbers still there, then you can dispute your findings further with the moderators.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

What's not true about it and what exactly is your issue?

When you refer a friend you get $1 every 30 days as long as that friend is referred.

If I don't pay at my next renewal date then my account goes to suspended status. If I leave my account that way for 90 days my account is deleted and number is gone. If I reactivate at 87ish mark I'm back. People use those method when they travel abroad for months to save paying for service while away.

So what is the issue You're having?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Tom19 What isn't true? That all 14 of your referrals are still active when PM is showing only 13 currently active? If when you renewed, one of your referrals was "temporarily" not active you would only receive $13. Do you really believe that PM is trying to scam you for $1?

Need Help? Let's chat.