cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Travel

Sgehmke11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey. I'm going to the US for a few days.  Should I wait to purchase a plan until right before? Do I need data as well as talk and text? 

7 REPLIES 7

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There is a $15 roaming add-on if you only need talk and text.  Make sure you add and purchase to your account.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

@Dunkman wrote:

@Sgehmke11 wrote:

This is a dumb question but I don't need data to text correct? And if I got wifi then I wouldn't need the data as well? 

@Sgehmke11 

That is correct.  You don't need data to text.  

However, if you use iphone and use iMessage, you will need data or Wifi to iMessage somebody.  

You might be able to receive texts in the US without having a roaming text add-on, however, if you want to be able to reply you will need to buy a roaming text add-on.

(I'm talking about actual SMS messages, messenger apps like Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, Hangouts etc run on data or WiFi.)

@Sgehmke11 wrote:

This is a dumb question but I don't need data to text correct? And if I got wifi then I wouldn't need the data as well? 

@Sgehmke11 

That is correct.  You don't need data to text.  

However, if you use iphone and use iMessage, you will need data or Wifi to iMessage somebody.  

Sgehmke11

Good to know! 

Sgehmke11

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Sgehmke11 US roaming add-ons will last for 10 days. Since you are going for a few days, you can just purchase it now. It is up to you if you want data/text/call. Browse through different roaming add-ons and see which one is best worth it for you. 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Sgehmke11 wrote:

Hey. I'm going to the US for a few days.  Should I wait to purchase a plan until right before? Do I need data as well as talk and text? 

The 10 day starts when it's purchased. The day of purchase counts as a full day.

Need Help? Let's chat.