cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Share Your 3G Real World Experience

Wondering if anyone that has signed up on a 3G plan is able to share their experience so far? Maybe share some real world speed tests?

The 3G offering still doesn't make sense to me. All PM has done is remove one of their biggest competitive advantages (having a nationwide 4g network) so they can jack up prices.
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Share Your 3G Real World Experience

Yes, we have been testing 3G for a few weeks now. 

Here is the video i posted about a week ago: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Extended-We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-I...

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Highlighted
Oracle

Using iPhone 5 alone and tethered to a Macbook I found that compared to LTE performance  "3G" was good for browsing, streaming video including netflix; much slower uploading photos and downloading apps; uses data allowance much slower. Details below

Results of Speed Tests         
 Download/Upload/Latency        
PLAN Phone AloneTetheredPhone browsing, apps, etc.Tethered – netflixTethered - streaming pbsMMS – photoUpload 75 MB appCallingSMS
LTE31/12/4533/8.7/413 -20 sec to load a pageGood; 10 sec to loadgood; 10 sec to load8 sec35 secnormalnormal
“3G”2.7/0.5/612.2/0.4/40pretty much the same as LTEbit fuzzier; otherwise samepretty much the same22 sec120 secnormalnormal

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

My opinion, the Time difference between 3G and the 4G in the areas that matter are fairly significant

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Would you say that the 3G speed is pretty consistent? Is coverage an issue? 

Highlighted
Oracle

@jeffster1970 wrote:

Would you say that the 3G speed is pretty consistent? Is coverage an issue? 

Yes, its consistent since its actually on LTE but throttled to 2.5mbps.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jeffster1970 it's quite consistent, more so than the non-throttled "4G LTE" data offerings.  The reasoning is simple--it's being delivered over the 4G LTE network at nowhere near it's maximum throughput, so there is much less variability (peaks and valleys in the speeds) due to network load or other reasons.

EDIT: @NDesai you beat me by 37 seconds to that reply!  Ugh if only I'd typed a little QUICKER!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've been with PM for 15 months now and I use only 3G on my iPhone 5 (LTE is disabled on purpose as it will consume more data and drain my battery faster). Being a noob I wouldn't even notice the speed difference between  3G or LTE and I am very satisfied with what I use right now as I am not a heavy surfer.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I think if they even throttled it to a more reasonable speed, say 5-7mbps down, it would be more palatable. 2.5mbps is just insulting. And the upload is borderline useless.
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you're on the LTE plan but decide to do 3G via the phone settings, you're still getting good speed and may not notice much degradation.

If tho, you choose the 3G plan from PM, your speed is throttled to the speed they want you to have.
Need Help? Let's chat.