cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anywhere a better plan the PM’s ?

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It seems to me that many , my self included, enjoy the game of searching for the best deal regardless of the costs associated by searching. 

I personally have not found a better deal than Public Mobile’s $13/ 30 day plan. In addition to the plans features PM reception and customer support through this forum can not be beat. This plan is so good that when I pass the word many of my friends and relatives actually think I’m exaggerating and full of hot air.

I get comments from —- it must be only a short term promotion and afterwards they’ll get you ——to the ridiculous that it must be a scam. 

For those that have the time it would be interesting to find out if right across Canada there is another plan that is equal or better to PM $15-$2=$13 plan. 

14 REPLIES 14

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Really depends what you need. I can't find a better deal for a phone I use soley as a carplay device. Really only need a little bit of data for occasional waze and internet radio. Can't beat PM for that. For my primary work phone, no one can touch the deal I have with another provider ... PM's not close, no one else is. I won't post the rate because I think it's poor form to drive business away from PM on their boards, but there are better deals to be had if you have substantive data needs than PM can come close to.  

In other words, the best deal is a variable depending on your needs. I have two phones. For one, PM is the best deal. For the other, PM (and Telus/Koodo) are miles away from being competitive. 

when we had some kinda competition in canada (for very short time) there were great deals

i had ulimited data canada calling and not sure about texting as i harldy used it with mobilicity for 23

it came in handy when i lost home internet and didn't have to rush cause i was tethering
this is also when pm came in its original form

i left them cause i moved out of the area and at the time i thought ah it's ok i don't use that much data anyways and things are just gonna be better

well things changed, and turned out not for the better (at least for the user)

now they are getting better again, but not enough according to some

i'm not complaining, that's a great deal and i have a perfect customer for it. if it sticks around till early summer he will switch (even over freedom mobile where you get it for 15 but it's lte and after you used up your allowance they just slow you down and don't cut you off) cause public mobile is better

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had a low cost service from Fido for years: 100 mins with free evenings and weekends, unltd text, no data.  Asked them to match PM a couple of times but they never would so here I am. 

I often go months without making any calls so 100 minutes should be more than enough.  Never needed data as I use wi-fi whenever I need a data connection but see how it might be useful occasionally for WhatsApp messing, for example.  

BEER

@kav2001c wrote:

Its def a promotion but the notion it is to "get" someone later as a "scam" is laughable

Same people who make comments that moon landing was a fake or that the CIA killed Kennedy

So to those that believe that the moon landing was not a hoax— cut and pasting part of  CBC news article -//

U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence on Tuesday called for landing astronauts on the moon within five years, an accelerated pace that would aim to put Americans on the lunar south pole.

Now, the earliest possible landing on the moon by NASA isn't until 2028, Pence said. He acknowledged talent — and money — will be necessary to pull it off earlier.

BEER

@slash407 wrote:

PM has the cheapest plans by far, u'll be crazy to think otherwise, lucky mobile is a distant 2nd.

The reason is very simple..........PM doesnt have customer service so they can lower the price for people who are looking to be self-suffient. If ur not self suffient, please,please dont sign up for public mobile, THIS NEEDS TO BE KNOWN because people would start xxxxing about things that they really shouldnt if they really knew the model of PM

edited by computergeek541 to conform to community guidelines

By experience I have concluded that through it's moderator team, Oracles and other helpful members, PM has a far superior service then Bell's overseas call centre's nice and polite but poorly trained voice and chat reps. 

BEER

@kav2001c wrote:

Its def a promotion but the notion it is to "get" someone later as a "scam" is laughable

Same people who make comments that moon landing was a fake or that the CIA killed Kennedy

For all we know Public (or even Telus) could close up shop (not that far fetched, they actually attempted to sell to Bell years ago before government killed the idea)

So the moon landing was not a fake? Some also believe that the Russians have colonized the dark side of the moon.   Just joking. 

BEER

@stonechucker wrote:

@BEER, it depends.  For me, I need unlimited talk, 

Loyalty, friend referrals, AutoPay and community rewards factor in also.  I think PM is a great choice for those who can handle the online-only approach, but for some, they cannot accept that.

Yes I agree - for me unlimited texting is most important- although voice is more personal, for me texting is best because everything is in print - LOL. even my wife texts me the grocery shopping list. 

—- From personal experience l know that PM online help is superior and one can only appreciate how frustrating it can be if they have ever encountered a problem with Bell mobility and are forced to speak to an overseas call centre rep that just reads from a script.

BEER

@Anonymous wrote:

@BEER 

Here, there are also the other rewards that other carriers don't have.

But that Chatr has the one extra detail of unlimited incoming voice.

But I'll stick with the rewards here and as you say...the reception.

Chatr is part of Rogers and in my area their reception sucks big time. I switched to PM from Bell because Telus/pm share the Bell towers and therefore reception is equal to Bell’s. 

@BEER, it depends.  For me, I need unlimited talk, more than text, and having data is great.  But I'm not everyone.

I came to Public Mobile when I found them to be well priced against the Big 3, and even better than WIND (at the time).  I've been with Rogers, Bell briefly, and WIND.  Pricing was higher than I wanted, and the packages were more than what I needed.  But I felt trapped until I found Public.

In 2015, I was paying monthly $91 for 1 GB of Data, unlimited Canada-Wide calling and text.  That was with Rogers, I switched to WIND at $71 for about the same, then found Public.  $42/30-days for 1 GB, province-wide calling, and international SMS unlimited.  Then Fall 2016 Promo... $120 for 90-days, and 12 GB of data, rest the same.  Still on that package today.

I don't use the data.  My regular usage is about 1 GB/30-day.  I've binged occasionally, but it's not a regular thing, as I'm conscious of know if I'm using cellular or WiFi, and I conserve the cellular too much sometimes.  But I don't need the Canada-Wide, and I rarely text.

I'm considering the $25/30-day plan for my next renewal.  I like the 30-day cycle for payment frequency, and the lower speed (throttled) isn't a concern, as I don't get the higher LTE frequently enough to matter.

Loyalty, friend referrals, AutoPay and community rewards factor in also.  I think PM is a great choice for those who can handle the online-only approach, but for some, they cannot accept that.

It took me 18 months to convince my sister to move my nephews over (brother in law and her have company paid phones) and after 30 months was able to finally get my parents over and they are saving $90 a month.  I do know what you mean when people hear what I am paying for what I get they go to the "to good to be true". 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER 

Here, there are also the other rewards that other carriers don't have.

But that Chatr has the one extra detail of unlimited incoming voice.

But I'll stick with the rewards here and as you say...the reception.

For all we know Public (or even Telus) could close up shop (not that far fetched, they actually attempted to sell to Bell years ago before government killed the idea)

austinhuang

It is hard to find comparison for any plan under $30. By standard price, PM = Chatr. But then autopay...

• PM: $2/month discount
  • Chatr: 250mb data @ 3G speed (You can't continue to use it at 2G speed, unlike other plans), per month

Do note that voicemail costs. PM charges standard minutes, Chatr charges 40c/min

BEER

Need Help? Let's chat.