cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Koodo, I think. Can I bring my wife?

vroomr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey @Moderator_Team,

Wondering if you can help me out. I have two accounts, one for me, one for my wife.

My wife doesn't use much data so we got her a talk and text plan with a data add-on so she can top up as needed. 

I got the fall promo 120 for 12 gb for 90 days with provincial calling. 

I got the offer to switch to koodo for 35 per month for 5gb and texting calling and what have you.

I want to switch, but I'd like to bring my wife's number also... Hers does not qualify. Any possibility to get it added?

18 REPLIES 18

@computergeek541

They are MUCH stricter this time around

Even the call centre reps are actually asking people for proof before plan can be changed

Ironically

Due to (my guess) insane call volumes; nearly all the people who placed orders for the $45 / 8GB plans (which EVERY single Public client was qualified for) have started seeing their new SIMs arriving with letters telling them plan was changed on their behalf to the $40 / 8GB plan

And yet, if you call in asking for a plan change, most people get denied

Strange

@computergeek541 wrote:

After the Koodo account is all set up, just port your wife's phone number in.  There's been some talk about Koodo in-store sales people sometimes forcing people to port the number that is eligible for  the offer, and also some talk about the online Koodo webstore/Koodo customer service sometimes forcing the number port in as well, but I believe these instances aren't the norm. 

Oh and make sure you get the Koodo refer bonus before you activate as well 🙂

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@vroomr

Order first SIM online and wait for it to be shipped

Once shipped / activated walk into local store and port your number to Koodo on promo plan

When your mailed SIM arrived, log into self serve and port your wife number to that SIM

choding
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I called Koodo center to get a promotion code. they said it is from PM. So I sent Mod a message about Promotion code. they can't send it in private. When i talked with Koodo, I can't get promotion price without Promotion code. So I ported my 3 lines without 1lines.

I just wait for another promotion for my daughter. 

probabley coming soon.

I wish you should go first, and wait.

I didn't want to go Koodo, but my son want to get Lte 5gig with cheap price.

I suppose it is good deal. but you have to know you lost the rest of your account after changing. your case is 90 plan, it is big money. you should check the time to move or change plan as 30 days.

Koodo is a little bit better than PM.

Especially there is no lag to call.

I like it.

thanks

@vroomr wrote:

Lol, yes that is what the silly OP wants. I mean, crazy to want to keep both accounts with one Telco.🤣.

Looks like I'll just migrate my number and leave hers.

So is PM going to be closing? I've been getting mixed reviews. Some say yrs, (friend of mine said Koodo tep said yes)

And I spoke on the phone with a Koodo rep and she said they were told to tell people that PM is not going anywhere. (Don't panic).

I on the other hand am a strong advocate for choosing the deal that suits my needs and bank account best and I try not to buy more than I actually need, just because it looks like a good deal on paper*. Just my two cents of course.

Public Mobile isn't going anywhere in the forseeable future, as confirmed several times by Public Mobile staff.

Some of those rumours are plain old very consciours fear mongering to close a deal, some are based on ignorance by people who mix up Public Mobile and PC Mobile (which, I think, will be folded into Koodo this fall)

*Heaving said that, the recent offers are tempting enough that I might try to align my portfolio in the hope of hoping onto the next one.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

As far as we know, PM is staying in business and no plans to shut down.  PM is actually doing well and has a lot of marketing happening all summer long.  Toronto transit shelters, buses, and ethnic community radio/tv channels etc are all seeing PM ads.  PM will continue to offer special deals to migrate customers up to the postpaid division(Koodo).  

Also, do make that call to Koodo if you want to keep the 2 lines together, they are known to offer good deals in scenarios like this.  Or, keep that line here with PM and enjoy the PM experience too 😄 

vroomr

Lol, yes that is what the silly OP wants. I mean, crazy to want to keep both accounts with one Telco.🤣.

Looks like I'll just migrate my number and leave hers.

So is PM going to be closing? I've been getting mixed reviews. Some say yrs, (friend of mine said Koodo tep said yes)

And I spoke on the phone with a Koodo rep and she said they were told to tell people that PM is not going anywhere. (Don't panic).

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I believe that most likely, you can just place an online order at koodomobile.com, use your phone number as the validation code, but when you are placing your order, tell the online store that you wish to activate the account using a new phone number.

After the Koodo account is all set up, just port your wife's phone number in.  There's been some talk about Koodo in-store sales people sometimes forcing people to port the number that is eligible for  the offer, and also some talk about the online Koodo webstore/Koodo customer service sometimes forcing the number port in as well, but I believe these instances aren't the norm. 

How does this work?  OP wishes to be greedy and convert one invite into two.  Imagine airlines allowing two people to board with one boarding pass. 

I think you guy are right.  I did read (incorrectly) that he wanted to transfer his wife to Koodo but not himself.

From the last round of migration offers, I suspect some people were able to get multiple lines activated.

@computergeek541 wrote:

I believe that most likely, you can just place an online order at koodomobile.com, use your phone number as the validation code, but when you are placing your order, tell the online store that you wish to activate the account using a new phone number.

How does this work?  OP wishes to be greedy and convert one invite into two.  Imagine airlines allowing two people to board with one boarding pass. 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @vroomr!

My experience tells me that you are better off calling Koodo and asking for a deal.  PM Moderators are limited in their ability to make such decisions whereas the Koodo reps on the phone will be able to forward you to someone who is able to make a decision and offer a more satisfactory deal.  Good luck!  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@computergeek541

I read the OP the way that @vroomr wants to transfer both accounts to Koodo. If I got that wrong, I apologise.

Are you suggesting double dipping? I've long since lost track on that monster thread on RFD, but my understanding was that that's no longer possible?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

From what I have read and talking to others, it is the 2016 fall promo and the $40/4.5GB plans that were targeted this time.  Q4 is only 3 months away.  I sense the mother of all migration offers is coming near the end of the year.  Get a $40 plan and wait. 

Is it a confirmation bias thing or what.  The terms in the migration offer text is quite simple.  It is a targeted promo intended for certain customers.  Why do people continue to ask the rhetorical question, my account did not get the offer but can I get it anyway. 

@vroomr wrote:

I'll wait till a MOD hops in to jump on anything..

I wouldn't hold my breath, though. The moderator team is still severely back logged and are likely concentrating on helping people without service etc before they spend more time to follow tags on the public side of the community.

If it were me (and no, on the $45/5.5GB I'm not eligible either* - I sent "offer" to 5130 and checked my phone number with the code on Koodo's sign-up portal) and I would need that amount of data I'd transfer the line that is eligible for this promo and continue to profit from the low Public Mobile rates for the low data use line.

If you foresee the second line needing way more data in the foreseeable future take advantage of the $40/4.5GB, your gamble might yield an invitation on a future round.

* There are also several people being on $120/12GB/90day and $40/4.5GGB plans that for whatever unknown reason have not made it into the targeted group this time. The criteria are unknown.

vroomr

I'll wait till a MOD hops in to jump on anything..

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It seems that people on the 90day/12GB/$120 and 30day/4.5GB/$40 plans are the ones who received the text message.

If you switch to the 30day/4.5GB/$40 plan now, you might qualify for the next promotion after this one, but there are no guarantees.

vroomr

Is there any clear cut explanation of what plans qualify? 

If I upgrade her plan, might she qualify?

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This will not be possible.  Unless her number received the text message, it does not qualify.

Need Help? Let's chat.