cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5gb to 8gb upgrade

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I am on the road and am thinking of upgrading to the $50 8gb plan from my 5gb.

It is asking me for $50 even though I still have time left on my current plan. If I pay that do I get  credit for my current plan where I am half way through?

Second question... as soon as I pay is the change pretty fast?

When I return, can I just switch plans back?

I am on the road and want more data and I dont feel like paying $30 extra per gig.

Stupid that they don't have a 5 gig addon or anything.

8 REPLIES 8

KamWest

Yup so basically to recap here was my best solution.

Run out the data on my $40 4.5 gig plan, then immediately switch to $60 8 gig plan.

Run it out or to the next billing cycle and then go back to my 4.5 gig plan.

That is the best option when I travel one to two times a year and it seems like the $40 plan is not going anywhere so I can switch back as needed.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KamWest unfortunately if you change your plan midway through your existing plan cycle, then you'll lose the remaining amount.  Public Mobile is a straight and true prepaid provider.  You get what you pay for.  There's no billing, there's no prorated system.  I recommend if you're going to change your plan, then have it set up for the next cycle.  This way you don't lose out on any of the money you already paid. 

Technically you can switch your plans any time and as often as you like, but you just need to take note of what I mentioned above, every time you change your plan, you'll need to pay full price for the new plan you're switching too, and if it's mid way through an existing month/cycle then you'll always lose the remaining amount you paid for.  Again recommend you change your plans at the end of each cycle (this you can have the system set that up automatically for you).

The switch is pretty much immediate, I usually wait about 3 minutes, then log back in to My Account to make sure the new plan is showing.  Basically once the payment is processed then the new plan is activated.

Also, keep in mind, if you're currently on some type of promo plan (usually any of the ready made plans), then these plans can expire at anytime, so if you switch plans, and then your prior plan is no longer being offered, then you'll have to find a completely new plan, you can't ask PM to give you back your prior plan that is no longer being offered.  So I guess you'll have to think if adding that additional 3GB is really needed, I mean how much do you plan on doing that'll require another 3GB of data?  Just don't assume after switching plans that your prior plan will be there waiting for you when you want it back again.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KamWest  i was going to suggest exatly what you said you are going to do.

@will13am  offered another good option but I would do it 2-3days before you think your data will run out, so you are less likely to be without  data. If you go this route add funds first so there is less back and forth. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@KamWest, another option is to just early renew to the same 5GB plan if you run out of data.  There will be less plan shuffling.  At this point you presume that the extra data is required.  It might not be.  The only downside of renewing the same plan when data runs out is that the option requires contacting the moderator team which can take a couple of days. 

KamWest

I Wii do this....

Run out my 5g data

But the 8gb plan for $50.00 and then downgrade back at next billing cycle.

This way I get 8gb for 50 bucks instead of 10gb for $30.

So when my data runs out and I upgrade immediately I should hopefully get the data pretty fast.

The when I get home I will downgrade back for the next billing cycle.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KamWest wrote:

So I am on the road and am thinking of upgrading to the $50 8gb plan from my 5gb.

It is asking me for $50 even though I still have time left on my current plan. If I pay that do I get  credit for my current plan where I am half way through?

I am on the road and want more data and I dont feel like paying $30 extra per gig.

You basically have 3 options

1 - upgrade now and lose any time/data on your current cycle 

2 - upgrade now but set the date to renew at next renewal date. No lost time/money but extra data will not start until next cycle

3 - do option 2 and buy a $30 1GB add on. 

Pick your poison. 

OnePlusFan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey, I'm not sure if it can be done but you may want to try this suggested solution from a similar situation.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Can-t-incrementally-upgrade-my-plan-wit...

@KamWest wrote:

You must pay for the full plan price whenever the change takes effect. Sorry, but you will not get credit for any remaining time in your old plan.

To avoid paying more for current billing cycle, it's usually suggested that customers select the option for the change to take place when the next renewal for the old plan would have occured.

Need Help? Let's chat.