cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get my blackberry to work with my public mobile sim card

Ashleymacmillan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an older blackberry its unlocked and that thing says its compatible with public mobile but it wont work. How do i get it to work?

16 REPLIES 16

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@Meaney709 wrote:

I'm currently running through each network technology option and choosing each option in hopes of connection and nothing so far. 

When last did the phone work and where? Maybe it's just kaputski.

You have airplane off? You have mobile network on? You're not using the GSM-only network technology? Is the SIM the right size in the slot? It's the mid-size micro-sim.

I wonder this too. I use an unlocked Q10 and it works just fine on PM. Are you 100% certain it's unlocked and the SIM is inserted properly? Are there many files on the device? You may want to try doing a fresh install of the OS but be warned that you'd lose local data on the device. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meaney709 wrote:

I'm currently running through each network technology option and choosing each option in hopes of connection and nothing so far. 

When last did the phone work and where? Maybe it's just kaputski.

You have airplane off? You have mobile network on? You're not using the GSM-only network technology? Is the SIM the right size in the slot? It's the mid-size micro-sim.

Meaney709
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meaney709 wrote:

So even though my SIM card if registered with public mobile, I can still connect through a Bell, Rogers, Telus, or Eastlink network?

Again, my issue is that inside that list of networks, I'm not getting an option to choose public mobile. (Like I do on my s6) 

I'm saying try Telus. The phone won't break in half or anything. What did you find in that list I suggested looking at?

Meaney709

So even though my SIM card if registered with public mobile, I can still connect through a Bell, Rogers, Telus, or Eastlink network?

Again, my issue is that inside that list of networks, I'm not getting an option to choose public mobile. (Like I do on my s6) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meaney709 wrote:

I currently have it in a galaxy s6 and everything works perfectly.

Good. So the service is fine. Can you check that option I suggested? Basically anything but GSM alone should work. It might squawk a little eventually if LTE isn't selected. I have it on LTE/HSPA+/UMTS. If I select HSPA+/UMTS/GSM then after a while it complains. iirc it still works though.

Meaney709

I currently have it in a galaxy s6 and everything works perfectly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meaney709 wrote:

Yes it is. To which I get an error that reads "Network error has occurred, please try again later." 

Phone is up to date on software.

When I switch the option to manual, the only options available are;

- Bell

- Rogers 

- Telus

- Eastlink 

Ok.

Settings/Networks and Connections/Mobile Network/Network Technology. What is that set to?

You could try choosing Telus. I wonder about the SIM itself though. Can you try it in another unlocked phone and see what you get.

That phone is the same era as my Z30 and I started on Public Mobile with a Z10. It should work.

Meaney709

Yes it is. To which I get an error that reads "Network error has occurred, please try again later." 

Phone is up to date on software.

When I switch the option to manual, the only options available are;

- Bell

- Rogers 

- Telus

- Eastlink 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meaney709 wrote:

I'm using an unlocked q10. But after unlocking the device, the public mobile network is nowhere to be seen. Can anyone help me? 

Settings/Networks and Connections/Mobile Network/Network Selection Mode. Is that option on Automatic?

Meaney709

I'm using an unlocked q10. But after unlocking the device, the public mobile network is nowhere to be seen. Can anyone help me? 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

how old is it? could the phone be damaged......i dont see why it wouldnt work, maybe limited but thats interesting

@slash407  another option is that it's a CDMA BlackBerry.  @Ashleymacmillan if the model number ends in a "30", (Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Bold 9930, etc) it's definitely not compatible with Public Mobile (or any other carrier in Canada since nobody here operates a CDMA network in 2019).  If it ends in 00 (Pearl 8100, Curve 9300, Bold 900/9900, etc) it's probably compatbile, though I don't recall if any of that older series was only 2G GSM or if they all also had 3G network support.  Oh, also if it came from overseas the frequencies may be wrong, since older BlackBerries were definitely region-specific.  

Let us know your model and we can try to help.  OH, the other thing is could it be locked to the carrier you got it from?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can you give us more details? BlackBerry has 3 different platforms: BB OS devices (Curve, Storm, etc), BB10 devices (Z10, Q10, Passport, etc), and BB Android devices (Priv, Key series, etc).

Given that you said older BB device, it likely falls into one of the first two categories. If BB10 and compatible with Public Mobile, it should work just fine without much set up overhead. But if it's a BBOS device, as a previous poster said, that could pose more problematic as it requires a whole different infrastructure (BIS, essentially data goes through a BB server) which Public Mobile and most carriers do not offer or previously did and are not offering any more.

All this adds up to: you need to let us know the specific device model and we'll be able to provide help. 🙂 Just wanted to add some context on the different Berries. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ashleymacmillan wrote:

I have an older blackberry its unlocked and that thing says its compatible with public mobile but it wont work. How do i get it to work?

Assuming you're talking about the compatibility checker on the getting started page...a better "that thing" is at willmyphonework.net.

Find your exact model and it'll say if it'll work. Mostly. Not all sites are perfect or complete.

@Ashleymacmillan wrote:

Please note that if your Blackberry device is not Android based, or isn't doesn't at least have at least Blackberrry OS 10, data will not work at Public Mobile.  This is because Public Mobile does not offer Blackberry BIS or BES services.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ashleymacmillan wrote:

Which exact model?

Which previous provider was it on?

Need Help? Let's chat.