cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A20 keeps roaming

pcouturier
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a Samsung Galaxy A20 and live close to us border. Since a week I have been roaming on AT&T towers. I need to reboot my phone to place calls or texts. No matter the setting I try, it keeps on roaming. Can anyone help? 

20 REPLIES 20

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm far from an expert in All Things Samsung, but does anyone think this might require a CSC change from AT&T (or whatever the original home network was) to Telus?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pcouturier

Well not matter type of network I select, if its not on automatic, I can't place calls....

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pcouturier wrote:

Well I had that phone for a month but the roaming issue started no more then à week ago... 

It didn't get homesick immediately ....

Anyway, just had a look at a similar model but Canadian. Options under Network mode are: 

1. GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect)

2. GSM/HSPA (auto connect)

3. GSM only

4. HSPA only

I have option 1 selected and it works fine. It roams in US and reverts when I return.  When I'm near the border, either side, I have to watch which network is selected.

pcouturier

Well I had that phone for a month but the roaming issue started no more then à week ago... 

jimbobs

@pcouturier wrote:

SM-A205-U

So that's a USA model, which might explain why Settings are slightly different. And, like many Americans, it prefers to roam home.

@pcouturier tap on roaming menu and try to see if there is an option in there to disable any type of roaming

@pcouturier  If your click on the Network Mode does it not give your the option to select Manual? If yes, then that should enable the Network Operators option. If not, then maybe call Samsung and ask if them if there is a way.

pcouturier

SM-A205-U

jimbobs

Is this a Canadian model Samsung Galaxy A20 or international?

pcouturier

When Sim in not in the phone, I dont have à y network options. 

Here some captures 

Screenshot_20200602-122116_Call settings.jpg

Screenshot_20200602-122109_Call settings.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AbuZ wrote:

Kindy change the preferred network type from 4G to either 2G or 2G/3G under mobile networks and then select manual network list > pick public mobile

Great job starting with the participating. Welcome.

However, Public Mobile doesn't run on 2G.

AbuZ
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Kindy change the preferred network type from 4G to either 2G or 2G/3G under mobile networks and then select manual network list > pick public mobile

@pcouturier turn off your phone, remove your sim and turn on your phone again and try to change the options to manual. then reinstall the sim and see if you can manually choose the network. try and send us a screenshot of the menu items

@gblackma The idea of getting a Roam or Freedom sim usually has to do with APN settings. I don't believe that manual network selection is one of the things that another carrier's sim can overcome.

Have you tried resetting your network to see if allows you to edit your settings? If all fails @pcouturier there's always putting in a Freedom Mobile SIM card. It allows you access to lot of settings. Borrow one from a friend or order one. May I suggest Canadian cell supplies https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/latest-products/products/public-sim-card

Stay safe. 

pcouturier

The issue is that the operator section in networks is grayed out, so I cannot select anything else then automatic. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@pcouturier to manually select your network provider:

1. Open Settings>Connections>mobile networks>network operators>search for networks
2. Tap the network you would like(Public Mobile)
or you can let it automatically search for the network
3. Restart your phone

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@pcouturier  As other have already mentioned if you manually select Public Mobile as your Network provider then your phone will not roam.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@pcouturier have you tried manually selecting PM as your network and restart your phone? Thanks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pcouturier wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy A20 and live close to us border. Since a week I have been roaming on AT&T towers. I need to reboot my phone to place calls or texts. No matter the setting I try, it keeps on roaming. Can anyone help? 

My S7 running A8 has a Network Operators menu that can manually connect to a network or select one automatically. Perhaps you're on automatic.

Need Help? Let's chat.