cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"No Service" After Activating SIM Card

dannyboy0115
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone was locked and on a plan with Telus. I bought a Public Mobile SIM card yesterday and had Public Mobile cancel my service with Telus. My service with Telus has since been disconnected.

I went through the process of activating my SIM card, choosing a plan, and entering payment information. My account is all set-up and everything appears to be activated but when I put the SIM card into my iPhone 6S, I just get "No Service" in the top left corner of the screen. When the SIM card is first placed in my phone I get a notification "iPhone is not activated". I called Telus and they unlocked my phone for me, but I keep getting the same message.

I have since updated my iOS settings, reset my network settings, backed up my device, factory reset, and restored it. None of these steps have worked and I'm becoming very frustrated since I've now canceled my previous cell service to switch to Public Mobile and I'm only working on WiFi since I have no cell service.

@Moderator_Team

Please help!

10 REPLIES 10

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RobertQc wrote:

I wonder if somehow you entered the wrong sim card number in. Unfortunately it only gives the last 4 digits in self serve to confirm.

Entering the wrong ICCID (number on SIM card) shouldn't be easy to do -- i.e. you can't make a typo on a single digit and have it work, since the ICCID has a checksum built into it. Even with 2+ digits incorrectly typed, statistically there's only a 10% it would be a valid number.

dannyboy0115

Thanks everyone for your help!

I had to send them a second message with my identity and PIN.

@dannyboy0115 wrote:

I thought I might have entered in the wrong SIM card number, so I went ahead and re-entered it in the "Change SIM Card" option, but everything remained the same with the notifications and issues.

Was worth a shot. Looks like you will just have to wait... Sorry I know it sucks. 😞 They are really busy but working hard to respond to each inquiry. Support staff is small but that’s why this service is such low cost. Rest assured you WILL be taken care of. For me, the extremely rare time I need a moderator to respond I have to wait but the rest of the time I save a lot of money. I save about $490 a year with public mobile so its worth it.

No need to send multiple messages unless you forgot to include your identity / pin number for verification then sending a second message (Click to send) will speed it up for you as the first response from them will be "who are you? " or "whats your pin?". 

BTW you can go to the app store and download "fongo" or "textnow" or other "free voip" for a free phone number to use over wifi while you wait. Good to have anyway incase of future problems.

dannyboy0115

I thought I might have entered in the wrong SIM card number, so I went ahead and re-entered it in the "Change SIM Card" option, but everything remained the same with the notifications and issues.

@RobertQc wrote:

But if your sim card was entered in correctly the first time, I am unsure what would happen. @will13am @mimmo @ShawnC13 @srlawren @NDesai do you have any experience with this? If a customer trys to change a sim card to the same sim card number thats already in the system?

The system will not accept already used sim card number. It's the same as activation portal where you get invalid sim error when you try to use it again. 

OP's problem is a bit hard to determine when everything went well during the activation process. It could be a bad sim card, but it is being recognized by the phone. May be activation did not properly go through, and only mod can check this.

@dannyboy0115 wrote:

Account is shown as "Active".

Okay, I'll message the Mods and hopefully they can sort it out.

While you wait for the mods *thinking out loud* I wonder if somehow you entered the wrong sim card number in. Unfortunately it only gives the last 4 digits in self serve to confirm.

If you did you could Log into self serve Click "Plans and addons" Click "Change Sim" and re-enter your sim card number. If you accidentally entered in the wrong sim card before it will go to the correct sim card.

But if your sim card was entered correctly the first time, I am unsure what would happen.  If a customer trys to change a sim card to the same sim card number thats already in the system? Will there be repercussions or just give an error such as "this is the sim card already entered, no changes were made" 

dannyboy0115

Account is shown as "Active".

Okay, I'll message the Mods and hopefully they can sort it out.

@dannyboy0115 wrote:

I did put the SIM card in my mother's phone this morning and a message popped up that said "Emergency Calls Only"...something a long those lines.

I wonder if the wrong sim card number got activated or there was some sort of problem. If NONE of your services are working and your sim is not working in another phone I suggest sending a message to the moderator team to look into this. Click this to send them a message.

Remember to give a full description of your issue with as much detail and include your name, account number and/or phone number and pin number so they don’t send you a message back asking for more details.

I know it can be a little frustrating to wait but they will get back to you asoon as they can between Monday-Friday 9am-9pm (EDT) and Satuday-Sunday 9AM-7:30PM (EDT) 

For more information about contacting a moderator Click Here

dannyboy0115

I did put the SIM card in my mother's phone this morning and a message popped up that said "Emergency Calls Only"...something a long those lines.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@dannyboy0115 wrote:

My phone was locked and on a plan with Telus. I bought a Public Mobile SIM card yesterday and had Public Mobile cancel my service with Telus. My service with Telus has since been disconnected.

I went through the process of activating my SIM card, choosing a plan, and entering payment information. My account is all set-up and everything appears to be activated but when I put the SIM card into my iPhone 6S, I just get "No Service" in the top left corner of the screen. When the SIM card is first placed in my phone I get a notification "iPhone is not activated". I called Telus and they unlocked my phone for me, but I keep getting the same message.

I have since updated my iOS settings, reset my network settings, backed up my device, factory reset, and restored it. None of these steps have worked and I'm becoming very frustrated since I've now canceled my previous cell service to switch to Public Mobile and I'm only working on WiFi since I have no cell service.

@Moderator_Team

Please help!

Try removing your sim and putting it back in.

Have you tried your sim card in a different phone? This is the best way to be able to narrow down the possibilities in a case like this. Even if you don't have another phone to run over to the closest store that sells cell phones and allow them to put your sim in one of their test phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.