cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

porting my grandfather landline Bell phone number

sugarorange5
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have  my DSL internet (Teksavvy) using  Bell telephone line, and I want to port my Bell number to Public mobile.

What is the best way to do, and keep my internet down to minimum?

Thanks for the advice and help.

5 REPLIES 5

Can't say specifically for the Bell/TekSavvy scenario, but my dad ported out his BC Telus landline number to voip.ms this past year, and his Telus DSL service on the same line/pair was uninterrupted. But I would definitely check with TekSavvy what their recommended process is since they're different providers...

@sugarorange5 wrote:

I have  my DSL internet (Teksavvy) using  Bell telephone line, and I want to port my Bell number to Public mobile.

What is the best way to do, and keep my internet down to minimum?

While is should be as simple as Teksavvy informing Bell that DSL service will continue, porting the landline number to Public Mobile could have undesired consequences.

You set up "dry DSL" on a second phone line/second wiring pair, but this could require some rewiring if there aren't already two wiring pairs setup. Worse case, the wires can be swapped at the demarcation point after the landline has been ported out to get the DSL service from the other phone line working.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

you need to have Teksavvy to get a dry loop for you.

I assume your phone line is from Bell and Teksavvy internet are 2 different accounts (ie, you didn't get the phone service from Teksavvy.. ) if so, I would say best way is to setup a new Teksavvy line.. dry loop.  has a confirm date and arrange to cancel the original  Teksavvy on the following day 

once you have the Teksavvy working on the new dry loop and the original Teksavvy is cancelled, port the Bell line over to PM

Netin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unfortunately that's a bit more of a question for Teksavvy than here. 

DSL needs either an active phone line or what's called a 'dry loop' to operate.  If you port the existing number out right now, the internet will stop working until you get a dry loop set up.  So your best bet is to call up Teksavvy, explain that you're planning to port out the landline number, and see what they can do to get a dry loop set up ahead of time.

Cath
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sugarorange5   

I did the same thing when I joined PM over five years ago.  The port from Bell landline to PM will be relatively simple.  I would consult teksavvy as to detailed steps to take to maintain your internet service.  My ISP guided me and the process was smooth if complicated.  Good luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.