cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activation successful but cannot receive calls or texts

ec5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i was able to activate my phone and can call-out and email out but cannot receive phone calls or texts. I have turned off the phone for several minutes and turned it back on and also removed and reinserted the SIM card. How can i fix this? my husband has the same phone and had no trouble setting his up. so frustrating.

24 REPLIES 24

ec5

for me it took 4+ hours. It would be great if Public Mobile noted this on their website. Thanks. 

ec5

no, i wasn't porting a new but rather choosing a new cell number. For me, it was just a waiting game. it took over 4 hours for activation to be completed by Public Mobile. 

ec5

no, i wasn't trying to port a new number. I selected a new cell number. it took 4+ hours for the activation to be completed by Public Mobile. So, the solution to my problem was just to wait it out. Having a timeframe for activation to compete noted on the website would have saved me the stress of trying to see if it was something i needed to do at my end.

ec5

hi, no i was not porting a number. it just took 4 hours for activation to be complete. Thanks for the prompt reply and detailed info though.

ec5

thank you. no, i was not porting a number; i chose a new phone number. it just took 4 hours for the activation to complete. 

ec5

thank you. i am now receiving texts and calls. I did not port a number but rather took a new phone number. it took 4 hours for the phone to start working after activation. Might be helpful to post that on the website for new folks - activation can take up to 4 hours and to just turn the phone off for several minutes and then leave it for a few hours. EC

Hi @ec5 

Please review the following information from Public Mobile just one week ago.

There have been changes re porting to Public Mobile from TELUS or KOODO, which is what you're now in the midst of.   

The key part from the below which relates to your particular situation in the below is:

"If you wish to transfer an existing number from TELUS or Koodo (including formerly PC Mobile), you will need to first complete your activation with a new number, then reach out to our Moderator team here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile. "

Here is the complete information:

Transferring or Changing your Phone Number

Hey Community, 

We heard that there were some questions around how to transfer or change phone numbers, so we wanted to help explain what to expect in different scenarios related to transferring or changing phone numbers. (Please note that all this information can be found in this Help Article. The Help Article will also include examples of SMS messages.)

Whether you are transferring an existing number from another provider into Public Mobile, or transferring your Public Mobile number to another provider, here is the experience you can expect: 

Transferring Your Number Into Public Mobile During Activation

You will be provided with the option to transfer your number during the activation process. Here are some things you should know:

• Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number
  • You cannot transfer numbers between Public Mobile accounts.
  • Your previous account must be active in order for the number transfer to go through. Once the transfer is complete, it will be automatically deactivated from your previous service provider.
  • Double check your old account info, as it needs to be correct in order for your number transfer to complete. Here’s the information you’ll need:

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Old service provider brand 

First and last name of account holder

IMEI Number OR Previous Provider Account Number

Complete billing address

Alternate Contact Phone Number

Alternate Contact Phone Number

For additional security, your previous service provider may also send an SMS text to validate the transfer. 

Follow the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer. If you have missed the 90 minute window to respond, we will send you an SMS with instructions on how to re-initiate the transfer.

Tips:

• Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message. 
  • Be sure to check all texts that could go to any other members on the old account and any junk or spam folders.
  •  If no validation message is received, please contact our Porting Team at **

Please note, it may take up to 2 hours to complete mobile number transfers, and up to 3 business days for landline number transfers. You may experience mixed service during this time until the transfer is complete. 

Transferring or Changing Your Number After Activation

You can change your phone number once every 30 days after you have activated. To change or transfer your number after activation, go to your Self Serve Account here and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on  “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.

You will need to provide the same information as requested during the activation process above. 

Your previous service provider may also send an SMS text to validate the transfer, so ensure your old SIM card is still in your device so you can receive and respond to this message. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until the number has been successfully transferred.

Transferring a number from TELUS or Koodo (including formerly PC Mobile)?

If you wish to transfer an existing number from TELUS or Koodo (including formerly PC Mobile), you will need to first complete your activation with a new number, then reach out to our Moderator team here in order to transfer your existing number to Public Mobile.  

Transferring Your Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.

If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our moderator team who will be able to assist you.

We hope that you found this helpful! Feel free to visit this Help Article for more information. 

- The Public Mobile Team

glad it finally works...

yes, i fully understand.. of course everyone is eager when they have new line or new phone.. hard to just put aside 🙂

ec5

finally, after 4 hours i can received texts and calls.

ec5

thanks. i have tried those things. Ah, finally, after 4 hours, i can now receive texts and calls. there should be a message when folks sign up saying that the process takes up to 4 hours and to just put the phone aside and do something else. I have wasted 4 hours trying to sort this. frustrating. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ec5 wrote:

when i call the new number from my home number it says i am trying to call a number that is not equipped for incoming calls. any suggestions?

@ec5 ,

I think others are having delayed activation/services today. If you did not port you should have been getting incoming calls sooner. Submit a ticket as others are suggesting. A bit more time may just do the trick here.

Hopefully, full services will be working soon - basic trouble shooting, try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for at least 3 minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

ec5

no i set this up with a new phone number as that was what i was told i had to do. public mobile says i have to set up with a new number first and then contact them to port my previous cell number from telus. i haven't done that as I just want this phone to work and may keep the number I've got just to get this going. so frustrating.

@ec5 

@ec5 wrote:

i can't find a blue chat bubble icon on the website. I tried to send 'contact moderator' to SIMON the chat bot on the chat feature but that didn't result in anything but suggestions that didn't relate to my inquiry. i guess I'll try the second option you have below. what kind of response rate can i expect?

Usually within few hours, up to 48 hours (if busy). 

@ec5 wrote:

i can't find a blue chat bubble icon on the website. I tried to send 'contact moderator' to SIMON the chat bot on the chat feature but that didn't result in anything but suggestions that didn't relate to my inquiry. i guess I'll try the second option you have below. what kind of response rate can i expect?

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat

@ec5 wrote:

i can't find a blue chat bubble icon on the website. 

The bubble at the bottom  right  softech_0-1606150801663.png,  

Select Account-specific issue, then select I need a human now. Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

ec5

@ec5 wrote:

thanks for your reply. no i am setting up with a new number. I would like to port a number from telus but public said i had to select a new number first and then go through with the port after. any ideas on what i can do to receive texts and phone calls?

Have you contacted the moderators? They are the only ones who can get the porting process started as you are porting from Telus.

@ec5 

I would recommend getting hold of moderator.  Likely account provision issue.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the blue chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Expect a few hours wait, might be longer.  Check your private messages for response (envelope icon in right upper corner of website)

ec5

when i call the new number from my home number it says i am trying to call a number that is not equipped for incoming calls. any suggestions?

ec5

its been 3.5 hours so far.

@ec5 wrote:

thanks for your reply. no i am setting up with a new number. I would like to port a number from telus but public said i had to select a new number first and then go through with the port after. any ideas on what i can do to receive texts and phone calls?

how long have to activate?  a full activation can take 15 mins to 4 hours...

in the mean time, keep rebooting our phone every 15 mins

ec5

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ec5 

Did you port your number from another carrier?  How long ago?  

If you tried porting more than 2-3 hours ago, then your port is stuck.  If less, then wait a bit longer.  With stuck port, you are unable to receive calls or texts, but able to send texts/calls.  

Here is some more information.  You may want to call Telus porting team if stuck port.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Porting Your Number Into Public Mobile

If you are porting your number into Public Mobile, for additional security, your previous service provider may also send an SMS text to validate the transfer. Follow the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer.

If you have missed the 90 minute window to respond, we will send you an SMS with instructions on how to re-initiate the transfer by calling our Porting team.

The SMS will read as follows:

Public Mobile Msg: The request to move your phone number to Public Mobile has timed out. Don't worry, you can easily re-initiate the transfer. Please call our Porting Team at 1-8*** to authorize your number transfer

Tips:

• Keep the old account's device on with the SIM card inside to receive the validation message. If that’s not possible, please ensure you can access the SIM from a different device.
  • Be sure to check all texts that could go to any other members on the old account and any junk or spam folders.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ec5 wrote:

i was able to activate my phone and can call-out and email out but cannot receive phone calls or texts. I have turned off the phone for several minutes and turned it back on and also removed and reinserted the SIM card. How can i fix this? my husband has the same phone and had no trouble setting his up. so frustrating.

Are you trying to port in a number from another provider?

If so, did you receive a text from your previous provider to confirm if you are porting out the number?  you need to answer yes for this to go through

If you are porting your number. try to call the Port  team: **** to confirm the status.  likely it is hung mid-way and need to re-trigger

Need Help? Let's chat.