cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck porting number from virtual online service

katielea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello everyone!

I was with PM for a while up until last April when I left the country for a year. I ported my number to an online service called Tossable Digits so I could keep it while I was gone. I'm back now and tried to port my number to PM but it doesn't seem to have worked - I can send and receive texts and make outgoing calls but not receive calls. It's been about 24 hours. I did receive a text from PM yesterday saying "we're having difficulty porting your number." I suspect it has something to do with the information I gave to port the number and the company being based in the US. 

My other option is just to take a new number from PM and use the virtual service to forward my calls/texts to it, which would be fine. But I can't select a new number now with self serve - I tried yesterday and it said it failed.

What should my next step be?

Thanks everyone! 

8 REPLIES 8

katielea

I didn't have any problems! I'd happily use the service again if needed. There might be other companies out there doing the same thing (and potentially cheaper, I don't know, though 5 bucks a month was just fine for me), and I know there are for sure in the US, but this one was basically the only one I could find that worked in Canada as well. 

So, forwarding did work on the SMS?  If yes, that’s awesome.  I may just need to look into this more.

katielea

I was 100% pleased with how it worked out. I've had my number for almost 2 decades so it was important to me to keep it if I could. I honestly thought my only option would be to essentially pay for a phone plan I never used for a year. This one cost about 5 bucks a month and it forwarded my calls and texts to my Australian phone. After a while I was getting too many calls I didn't care about at inconvenient hours so I changed the settings and it then sent my calls to voicemail and then emailed me the voicemail. I was very happy and I recommend it to anyone needing to hold on to a phone number while away.

@katielea, glad to assist.  I've heard of these number parking companies, but haven't required the use of them.

You've obviously found it to be useful.  Have you been pleased with the service and value?

katielea

Awesome, I'll do that. 4-5 business days is no problem. Thank you! 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@katielea, the US service is most likely treated as a VoIP system, so this is going to take longer than a regular port.  This is a 4-5 average business day issue.

Get your information together, and have it available for the moderators when they contact you.   Forwarding SMS may or may not be an option with the VoIP service, but your mileage may vary.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I agree with Someone_here, its best to contact a Moderator and they can tell you where in the port things went wrong. Keep in mind Moderators are pretty busy and it might take a day for them to respond to you.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Write a private message to the moderators, they should be able to assist with both options!

If not at all possible for them to help with porting your number (which should be possible anyways) (also, PM is apprently already aware of the problem, they will be able to tell you why, and you might be able to provide them with more information regarding your Tossable Digits account), then they will definitively be able to let you chose a new number.

Need Help? Let's chat.