cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming calls during port into PM from a landline?

lanc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I joined Public Mobile yesterday and I activated with a new number (which I intended to use as a temporary number). I made sure the new number service was working before determining I could go ahead and try to port into Public Mobile from my old provider (to keep my old number).

Moderators were a great help and indicated the process might take 24 hours, but I know that it could ultimately take 72 hours (or more?). 

However while I am in the middle of this process, my Public Mobile new (temporary) number can no longer receive incoming calls. My old provider number is still working. Does this mean I can't actually use my Public Mobile service/temporary number just yet until the process is completed (and could last 72 hours or more)? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Canlan54a wrote:

As far  as i know, as long as you have no obligations or outstanding amounts owing on your account to your previous carrier and didnt previously request a disconnect, they they must release your number for porting.

Owing money isn't supposed to block port if it's the current bill, but they might block it if you're past due. For landlines, Bell holds some ports until they talk to the account owner to give a retentions sales pitch.

Canlan54a
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As far  as i know, as long as you have no obligations or outstanding amounts owing on your account to your previous carrier and didnt previously request a disconnect, they they must release your number for porting.

@lanc wrote:

Thanks. Update: Moderator has gotten back to me to let me know that my port out is still in progress and not complete.

You are right my temporary number is gone. However my old provider seems not to have released my number yet so I cannot actually receive calls with my new PM sim. I can however, call out from my new PM sim. Looks like I will need to wait a little bit more. 

I hope my old provider can't refuse the port out request at this point.

As other said earlier, that's how it's supposed to work. Landlines are suppsoed to be ported within 48 hours, but it can take longer. The old carrier is not supposed to refuse the port as long as the information submitted to them was correct that is used to prove that you approved the phone number transfer.

As for the idea of using the temporary number until porting is compelte, that isn't how it works at any of the Telus owned cellular service brands.  There are other carriers who don't assign the number that you're porting in until porting is complete, but Public Mobile isn't one of them.

lanc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks. Update: Moderator has gotten back to me to let me know that my port out is still in progress and not complete.

You are right my temporary number is gone. However my old provider seems not to have released my number yet so I cannot actually receive calls with my new PM sim. I can however, call out from my new PM sim. Looks like I will need to wait a little bit more. 

I hope my old provider can't refuse the port out request at this point.

@Dunkman wrote:

@lanc 

You are right. It can take several days for Landlines ports to be completed.  However, your temporary phone number should still be working.  That is the reason why you chose a temporary number.

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Network reset.  

The temporary number is gone. Once the port is sumbitted by Public Mobile, the number being ported in replaces the temporary number immediately. This means that there will be no incoming call service until the porting has completed.

@lanc 

You are right. It can take several days for Landlines ports to be completed.  However, your temporary phone number should still be working.  That is the reason why you chose a temporary number.

Maybe try rebooting your phone.  Network reset.  

@gpixel wrote:

@lanc contact your previous provider and make sure there isn't a port block on your account. the port shouldn't take that long if its a mobile number

@gpixel hi he said it is a landline 😁

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

Oops.jpeg

😉🤭🤓

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@lanc wrote:

I joined Public Mobile yesterday and I activated with a new number (which I intended to use as a temporary number). I made sure the new number service was working before determining I could go ahead and try to port into Public Mobile from my old provider (to keep my old number).

Moderators were a great help and indicated the process might take 24 hours, but I know that it could ultimately take 72 hours (or more?). 

However while I am in the middle of this process, my Public Mobile new (temporary) number can no longer receive incoming calls. My old provider number is still working. Does this mean I can't actually use my Public Mobile service/temporary number just yet until the process is completed (and could last 72 hours or more)? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

@lanc hi yes that is normal your port is in progress hope it completes for you soon 😁

Need Help? Let's chat.