cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International

chukboy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I understand I have international text in my plan which means I should be able to send and receive text messages as I want but Will I get roaming charges if I simply carry my phone in the United States ??  I'm wondering if I need to have it in Airplane mode all the time..

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar 

That was an excellent report from Eddy_222. And y'know...it sorta kinda backhandedly implies that inbound calls are doing something. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

The help pages state that we can receive texts in the states without an add-on. So this can be openly mentioned.

Inbound calls...???.. possibly 🙂

Ah yes, indeed the "U.S. Roaming" help article officially mentions this.

Q: Will I receive incoming SMS while roaming in the US?

A: Yes, you will receive incoming SMS while you are roaming in the US for free. However, in order to respond to the SMS, you must have a US Roaming add-on which includes the SMS feature.

And SIMon clearly declares it too:

SIMon-US-SMS.png

We have learned though in another recent topic that unconditional call forwarding will stop working if the SIM is active in the US without an active roaming add-on...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Domestic-Call-Forwarding-While-Roaming-Internationally-without/m-p/507141/highlight/true#M65645

Regardless, in relation to the OP's question, there's no risk of extra charges. It either works or it doesn't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

According to reports you can expect to still be able to receive text messages, and possibly(?) receive calls while in the US without a roaming add-on.

The help pages state that we can receive texts in the states without an add-on. So this can be openly mentioned.

Inbound calls...???.. possibly 🙂

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

If you are in the US without a roamin add-on, you can be rest assured that you will never be charged anything extra than what you already purchased.

As such, feel free to "try" calling, texting, etc without worry. Most things won't work, but there's no risk of extra cost from letting your phone connect. According to reports you can expect to still be able to receive text messages, and possibly(?) receive calls while in the US without a roaming add-on. Otherwise, purchase the add-ons you need.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@chukboy The international texting means you can text anywhere globally while you are in Canada. It simply means that you can text to  anywhere while in Canada.(or roaming add-ons in the US)

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@chukboy no roaming charges, PM never charges extra. And you will receive texts but will Not be able to reply to them without a roaming add on. Try adding TextNow and use over WiFi to make and receive calls. And send/ receive texts.

@chukboy wrote:

I understand I have international text in my plan which means I should be able to send and receive text messages as I want but Will I get roaming charges if I simply carry my phone in the United States ??  I'm wondering if I need to have it in Airplane mode all the time..

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to purchase a US roaming add for service.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@chukboy wrote:

@chukboy  International texts only applies when you are in Canada. If you are outside Canada you will not be able to send or receive(?) texts without a roaming add-on (only available for the US).

Need Help? Let's chat.