cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emojis and character counts in texts

ElleBee83
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I’ve recently learned some emojis can apparently be up to 70 characters and can drastically use up your 140 ****CORRECTION 160**** character count maximum allowed per text message... but which ones? And how do you really know? Does the text count on my phone (iPhone) reflect this??

text example:        :    +    )    =    🙂    2 characters

emoji equalivent:    🙂    =    How many characters?

18 REPLIES 18

What happens when you approach or reach the 50 text threshold on this plan?  Does "Public Mobile here ..." send you a (free) msg about having used up (for example) 45 of your 50 texts?  Does PM simply cut you off at 50 texts?  Does text #51 get ignored or rejected by the system?  Has anyone on this plan hit the limits yet?

ElleBee83

@srlawren I think we both were misunderstood. Sometimes when you dont know someone personally, their style of texting (for example) can come off the wrong way. No hard feelings here.and I thank you for advocating, that actually is a very good suggestion. Hopefully PM will see this and take it into consideration for future plans. 🤞 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @wetcoaster.  Been an "interesting" day at work today which kept me away for a bit. But yes you and @Rockdaddy22 are correct in that I was not trying to judge you @ElleBee83, but rather judge PM.  Personally I think they should just include unlimited texting (or, if that's crazy on a $10 plan, let's say an artibrarily large number like 1,000 or 2,500 rather than just 50).  And I get where you're coming from with elderly parents for sure.  My mother is 78 and not at all technical.  Yet she sure has taken to texting!  Last month she used 808 messages, and 776 the month before, and so on.  So yeah I'm not judging I'm advocating for PM to provide more for less, like their slogan.  Anyway, hopefully no hard feelings.  Have a great evening!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22

@wetcoaster wrote:

@ElleBee83 wrote:

@srlawren

This is a secondary sim/carrier to me used in one of my older iPhones given to my mother to use when she travels long distances on her own, by car to care for my elderly grandparents one day every week at least. So maybe we do have to “go back in time” for some people who may not be as well versed in technology or up to date as you may be.

As for having a strict budget I think everyone should be strict with any budget amount they have and be AWARE of where their money comes and goes to. This IMHO is called due diligence and defines the word BUDGET. 

I’m here asking for help in a COMMUNITY and not asking to be judged based on the modest plan I’ve chosen to work with my life scenario.

Wowza! Talk about interpretation of something that isn't there...

I know that @srlawren is a grown-up and can fend for himself... But if you reread his note you see that it was directed at the tagged senior staff of Public Mobile... And I don't know what makes you feel judged?

In this day and age, limiting text messages on the provider side, even on a minimalist emergency plan, just doesn't make sense. (The fact that Public Mobile wasn't / isn't doing it on their full size plan is one of the the two major reasons that influenced my move to this service.)

Definitely a misunderstanding. 

Definetly a very interesting thread, I learned something new today 🙂

ElleBee83

@wetcoaster wrote:

@ElleBee83 wrote:

@srlawren

This is a secondary sim/carrier to me used in one of my older iPhones given to my mother to use when she travels long distances on her own, by car to care for my elderly grandparents one day every week at least. So maybe we do have to “go back in time” for some people who may not be as well versed in technology or up to date as you may be.

As for having a strict budget I think everyone should be strict with any budget amount they have and be AWARE of where their money comes and goes to. This IMHO is called due diligence and defines the word BUDGET. 

I’m here asking for help in a COMMUNITY and not asking to be judged based on the modest plan I’ve chosen to work with my life scenario.

I know that @srlawren is a grown-up and can fend for himself... But if you reread his note you see that it was directed at the tagged senior staff of Public Mobile... And I don't know what makes you feel judged?

In this day and age, limiting text messages on the provider side, even on a minimalist emergency plan, just doesn't make sense. (The fact that Public Mobile wasn't / isn't doing it on their full size plan is one of the the two major reasons that influenced my move to this service.)

@wetcoaster

I did see the tags But didn’t realize those people are senior PM staff. I’m a newbie can you see that? I think it was the Star Trek GIF that made me feel judged (I’m no trekie). 😜 

im not even 24 hours into service and am still waiting on a reply from PM’s mod team so we’ll see how it goes I may just reevaluate my budget if need be and modify my plan with a change to another or add-ons as @Luddite has recommended. 

Let’s restart, not hate and just communicate?  @srlawren 

@ElleBee83 wrote:

@srlawren

ElleBee83

@Luddite 

I was an original Magic Jack customer back in the day and have used Fongo since it’s inception. It’s a great service and goes to show technology is becoming much more accessible and easier to navigate.

Thanks for all your help I’m glad to have Oracle service 🤓😎🤩

@ElleBee83 I agree with you. This is the perfect plan for an "emergency" cell phone. I am amazed how many people I know still have these plans. PM's is actually the best of the lot; it's only $8 after autopay!

If I was on my own I would buy it and use Fongo as my "home" phone. Wouldn't answer or call/text when away from home, and use cellular data just to check traffic. Fongo call quality is a bit hit & miss which annoys my partner so we have the $30 3G plan. Robot wink

BTW: @srlawren was not denigrating your choice, just PM's cheapness in not offering unlimited MMS. Besides, he loves texting. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ElleBee83

@computergeek541 wrote:

If the character count exceeeds a ceratin amount (is it something like 3 or 5 text messages in length?), the message will automatically be converted to MMS.  Since outgoing MMS is included in the unlimted messaging option at Public Mobile,  most peple probably wouldn't be too concerned.  However, as talked about, having a 50 message plan would be troublesome and a little more difficult to keep track of how many of your messages have been used, especially when the messages may be of longer lengths (multiple messages reconstructed into one long messages at the receiving end).

The one and only text sent so far was explaining the plan details and about PM as a carrier to another family member just as a FYI. It COULD have been a few characters over the 160 character limit allowed per SMS-I will need to verify.

This phone is provided to my mother who still learning technology, hey at least she’s trying! I’ve set her up with PC because it works in my budget and I liked PC’s business model of community based help. 

ElleBee83

@srlawren

If the character count exceeeds a ceratin amount (is it something like 3 or 5 text messages in length?), the message will automatically be converted to MMS.  Since outgoing MMS is included in the unlimted messaging option at Public Mobile,  most peple probably wouldn't be too concerned.  However, as talked about, having a 50 message plan would be troublesome and a little more difficult to keep track of how many of your messages have been used, especially when the messages may be of longer lengths (multiple messages reconstructed into one long messages at the receiving end).

srlawren

@Korth wrote:

SMS technical details at Wikipedia

Standard SMS can be encoded with one of three protocols (think of them as "alphabets") - 7-bit GSM, 8-bit UTF, or 16-bit UCS - which imposes an upper limit of 160 characters, 140 characters, or 70 characters on each message.  They can also be joined together into a single multi-segmented "long SMS" composed of up to 255 discrete SMS segments (in theory), but then each segment includes a few bytes of User Data Header (a sort of "envelope" containing the message) which reduces the maximum segment limit to 153, 134, or 67 characters.

16-bit encoding is always used for pictographic languages (which use many symbols to represent individual words instead of comparatively few symbols to build an alphabet).  This includes emojis.

I think if any emojis are present in the body of an SMS then the whole message is encoded in 16-bit and has a 70 character limit (or 67 character limit as part of a segmented long SMS).  Different emoji apps/keyboards might use nonstandard encoding for emoji symbols ... and Apple has always been protective about their iMessage technical details ... so the only way to be see how many characters an emoji symbol uses is to see how it impacts the message character count while typing.

@Korth excellent and thorough explanation, as always. 

That said.....

@Brooke_C @Dave_M Ugh.  This [whole thread] is why it's such a horrible, horrible idea to have a limited-text plan.  I understand the $10 price point is appealing to anyone on a strict budget, but did we really need to go back in time to the days when people had to pay attention to how many characters were in their SMS messages and how many messages they'd sent?  

giphy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Ty...that clears it up!

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

Standard SMS can be encoded with one of three protocols (think of them as "alphabets") - 7-bit GSM, 8-bit UTF, or 16-bit UCS - which imposes an upper limit of 160 characters, 140 characters, or 70 characters on each message.  They can also be joined together into a single multi-segmented "long SMS" composed of up to 255 discrete SMS segments (in theory), but then each segment includes a few bytes of User Data Header (a sort of "envelope" containing the message) which reduces the maximum segment limit to 153, 134, or 67 characters.

16-bit encoding is always used for pictographic languages (which use many symbols to represent individual words instead of comparatively few symbols to build an alphabet).  This includes emojis.

I think if any emojis are present in the body of an SMS then the whole message is encoded in 16-bit and has a 70 character limit (or 67 character limit as part of a segmented long SMS).  Different emoji apps/keyboards might use nonstandard encoding for emoji symbols ... and Apple has always been protective about their iMessage technical details ... so the only way to be see how many characters an emoji symbol uses is to see how it impacts the message character count while typing.

Hey, I learned something new! 😂

I know I wasn’t the one asking but just wanted to say thanks for the detailed response! Definitely one of the more interesting ones I’ve seen on here.  #themoreyouknow

ElleBee83

Thank you korth 👍

Korth
Mayor / Maire

ElleBee83

@jp2 wrote:

It should be shown in your character count.

I'm not sure if the carrier count for emojis is the exact same as the phone count 

What is a “Carrier count”??

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It should be shown in your character count.

I'm not sure if the carrier count for emojis is the exact same as the phone count 

Need Help? Let's chat.