cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless calling

khanmy1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I do know the wireless calling is avaliable in some of the lastest phones.  Question is - is hte option a phone matter only or it also depends on the provider... If it depends on the provider also does PM have that option.

6 REPLIES 6

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are ways around your problem.  For texting, I would get an app like textnow, which offers free texting and voice calls though wifi or data.   I would also get Fongo, for voice calls.   You can get Public Mobile to forward to your Fongo number, if you are in an area with wifi only.   I would also get Google Hangouts dialer, which does free calls to Canada and US, and can also spoof your Public Mobile number, so people that recieve your calls know it is from you.  

eatnb1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I guess I will have to leave PM as I now live in a place I cannot get cell service (have to go 10  miles away to be able to use the cell) so texting was going to be an option in lieu of phone. Can't do that so I will have to get a phone carrier that will allow wifi use. 

public mobile probably wont have it any time soon.   It is a no frill carrier.  

However pretty sure many wants it anyway, so you can use it when outside of coverage.  Like roaming!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

WiFi calling requires the carrier to offer the service and the hardware to support it.  Typically, it's needed when cellular coverage is spotty, like with freedom mobile.  Anyway, this service is not offered by public mobile, nor is it necessary.

photosbydan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not as straight forward, but there are apps that'll let you make free calls over wifi - like Google Hangouts, Viber, Whatsapp, etc.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@khanmy1

I assume by "wireless calling" you are referring to Wi-Fi calling capability in some phones.  This feature is carrier specific and the carrier must support it for the function to operate on the device.

PM does not support Wi-Fi calling, and I don't believe there are plans to support it in the near future.  Calls with PM are made via 3G, as VoLTE isn't yet available.

Need Help? Let's chat.