cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when do i physically change my sim card

00zero00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

im activated, but when do I change out my old card for my new one?

8 REPLIES 8

lovelyrachel
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Simple, concise, straightforward answer from will13am

@00zero00   hopefully you get your incoming calls now

usually after you reply YES, you put your new sim card (PM sim) to the phone and then reboot every 30 mins until your PM sim is receiving incoming calls (usually within an hour to 4 hours).   If incoming calls come through, that is the end of the porting.  Your old account would be closed as well.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@00zero00 

Once you replied to the text confirming you are porting over to PM.

Power off the phone then swap the old SIM with the PM SIM and power on the phone.

It should work immediately if your old carrier releases your number.

The Public Mobile service would work, but the porting likely won't be compelte.  After a customer says "yes", it can still take a whiile for porting to finish.

@00zero00 wrote:

if that is the text that needs a "yes" or "no" replay, then I have given them my yes reply. So, now I can put in my new SIM card? Thanks for the reply.

You could do that, but I would advise against it. Until pporting is complete (which is might be by now), all incoming phone calls and most incomng text messages will continue to go to old carrier (text messages sent from other Telus, Koodo, Public customers will go to your Public Mobile service.  If you take your old carrrier's SIM card out of your phone before everything is complete, you will never receive any of the calls and text messages that were routed to the old carrier. Porting doesn't complete at the very momemnt of the "yes" reply.

Ideally, you would have an extra compatible phone so that you can receive all incominmg calls and text messages during the porting process, but you would want to keep your old carrier's SIM card in the same phone that it was already in (in case IMEI was used for number porting purposes).

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@00zero00 

Once you replied to the text confirming you are porting over to PM.

Power off the phone then swap the old SIM with the PM SIM and power on the phone.

It should work immediately if your old carrier releases your number.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@00zero00 

Indeed. Yes you can swap out your sim cards now. Insert the Public Mobile SIM card and reboot your phone. Make sure all your services are working. Incoming calling is the last service to complete when a port request has been made. If your old SIM card has stopped working and you cannot log into your old account or you have received a message saying it has been canceled then your port has completed if it's been more than half an hour since you have replied yes to the porting authorization text then you may want to contact the telus porting department to inquire on the status of your report. The maximum it should take for a port to complete is 2 hours.

If you need the phone number for the Telus porting department just tell us and we will send it to you via private message.

Welcome to public mobile!

00zero00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

if that is the text that needs a "yes" or "no" replay, then I have given them my yes reply. So, now I can put in my new SIM card? Thanks for the reply.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@00zero00 , if you are doing a number transfer, you need to continue to use the old SIM card until you receive the port confirmation SMS that requires verification.  Once that is complete, then you can proceed to use the Public Mobile SIM card.  If there is no number transfer, it can be used right away.  

Need Help? Let's chat.