cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird characters displayed on call display

Voltman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have weird characters showing up on my call display from callers that are not in my phones contacts.

I have an Sumsung Android phone. I have tried to find a solution on google?

The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers that I know! 

When someone calls me that is in my contact list on my phone, it shows up correctly on the call display. When someone calls me that is a legitimate caller but not in my contacts the call display shows their name in a weird font.

22 REPLIES 22

Voltage
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a new phone and the problems all went away. My old phone did not have 5G and my new phone does. My old phone had not had updates for a couple years also.

KayB1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've had the same issue with my Samsung Android for over a year now. Also calls from certain,  but not all,  numbers that are in my contact list don't come through.  The caller hears the ringing and then the call goes to voice mail.  Nothing showing missed calls on my phone.  The numbers are not blocked.  I called Roger's and was advised that this was an issue with a Samsung update but others I know that have  Samsung aren't experiencing the same issues. 

HI @Voltman   

Try this

on your phone , phone dialer app, clear cache and reboot the phone and see if it fixes it

If not, then  use your PM sim in another phone and check if you have the same problem

Use another sim card on your phone and see if that has the problem too

Voltman

I still have the same problem! when someone calls me that is in my contact list on my phone, it shows up correctly on the call display. When someone calls me that is a legitimate caller but not in my contacts they call display show their name in a weird font.

@Voltman wrote:

My contacts show up correctly on the call display!

Great to know @Voltman

what did you end up doing?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Voltman wrote:

I have weird characters showing up on my call display from callers that are not in my phones contacts.

The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers that I know! 

@Voltman   You have couple of different statements in your first postm bolded, above.  If you're concerned about unknown callers (not in your phone contact), then don't respond as already mentioned and you can block them if needed.

Voltman

My contacts show up correctly on the call display!

@Voltman     So these legitimate numbers recently started displaying with extra characters on your phone?  It does seem odd but you've received some suggestions about the possible reasons why this is happening.   You could ask your contacts if something has changed on their end or try removing the contacts and adding them again as suggested by @hTideGnow?

Voltman

I have answered the calls and they are from legitimate callers that I know!

@Voltman   Okay, now I'm a bit confused.  Either these callers are legitimate (with weird characters?) or they're spammers/scammers or the legitimate numbers (in your contacts) have had their number spoofed?

Have you answered these calls and found the person is a legitimate caller? 

Voltman

I have edited my post :

"The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers!"

Voltman

Sorry I had a ? at the end of the statement. It should have read:

"The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers!"

@Voltman   Sometimes legit callers try to hide or block their numbers when calling too.  It's not unheard of. 

They just found out a way to add wierd characters in place of numbers. 

HI @Voltman   honest, that was a question mark at the end and I wasn't sure you were asking a question or was it a statement

Try to delete the contact, reboot the phone and then re-add the contact and have the person to call you again

Voltman

As I said "The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers? "

Voltman

As I said "The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers?"

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Voltman   If you don't recognize the number, then don't answer and if it's important they will leave a voicemail or text which you can check and decide whether to call them back or not. 

However, usually any numbers with characters are more than likely spam or scammers.  You can block these numbers on your phone, but they will more than likely just call again from a different number.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Voltman   It's just how callers try to hide their where abouts when calling and scamming around.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Never a good idea to answer any calls that you don't recognize the caller. If it's legit, they'll leave a message and you can call back if you want.

Once you answer these types of calls, the scammers know you'll answer and keep hounding you.

Just don't answer.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@Voltman 

is that from a contact you know?

or it might be an overseas caller?

It could also be a spam call and they purposely put the caller id what way

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Voltmanweird characters and numbers  are not worth answering.. 

@Voltman wrote:

The calls on my call display with weird characters are legitimate callers? 

This could be the result of an error in the transmission of the infromation, or could also likely be an example of a callers trying to hide where they are really calling from.

Need Help? Let's chat.