cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlocking iphone for use with public mobile sim

drob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I've been a customer for a couple years, and happy with the service here.

My blackberry I was using fully shutdown the other day, and I was given an old iphone 5c to replace that from a friend (not lost or stolen). I have tried to break it myself but still get the 'sim not supported' message when trying to activate the network.

Upon furthur reading here: https://help.whistleout.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/115015424287-How-can-I-unlock-my-Public-Mobile-phone-

I am here to request this service, and can send the imei and any other info in a private message. thank you for your help

12 REPLIES 12

You are right @srlawren..thanks.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lieux wrote:

There is a site which can give you a code too for unlocking your phone..test and it worked...https://www.cellunlocker.net/.. @drob..

@Lieux have a look at the Brands dropdown list on that site you linked:  you'll notice that Apple is missing.  There is a good reason: Apple maintains their own database of unlocked phones, and these random internet sites that can get generated unlock codes generally have no access to add devices to Apple's database, meaning that they can't really unlock iPhones.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Lieux, I'm not speaking about when you have a number with them, HOWEVER, you shouldn't need to have a currently active account with them, to unlock the device. 

The CRTC passed the ruling in December 2017, in the spirit of the consumer not having to jump through hoops.  Bell has been the only carrier to make you ask how high must I jump.

I don' t want to be unrespectful but with my experience in Quebec if your phone is locked with bell and you buy a new sim card bell and.... what I explained the message before ...it works..I did it few months ago... @stonechucker..they can't say nothing to unlock it you have a number with them...

@Alex888, there is no fee to unlock a personal cellular device in Canada, as of December 2017.

As for not being a subscriber to the previous carrier, this is false also.  Bell will make it difficult for you, but the other carriers seem to be more open about providing an unlock code.  You only need to provide the IEMI information.

You can see this video too to check if your phone is locked or not.. @drob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CurOgRbxa-U

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

post edit by @Lieux.

If it's a problem with locked phone....there is a trick at least in Québec that I used with bell but I think it could be with every company...You can buy a new sim with the company with which your phone is locked (about 10$) and pay for the cheapest plan. At home ask for unlock your phone with your new sim....when it's done..cancel everything before 10 days and they have to refund you the price that you paid for the plan..They did it for me... @drob keep us informed what was your solution!!!

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@drobWho gave you the phone? If its someone you know and they purchased it from carrier ask them to call their carrier and unlock it for free. When I was given an iphone to play with it was locked and didn't work. When I called them (rogers) to unlock they refused and said I had to be the account owner who originally purchased the phone. So my friend who gave it to me called rogers (their carrier) and had it unlocked with no issues after verifying their identity.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
You should be able to take it to any mobile store, it should cost under $50 for them to unlock it for you.

@drob wrote:

Hi,

I've been a customer for a couple years, and happy with the service here.

My blackberry I was using fully shutdown the other day, and I was given an old iphone 5c to replace that from a friend (not lost or stolen). I have tried to break it myself but still get the 'sim not supported' message when trying to activate the network.

Upon furthur reading here: https://help.whistleout.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/115015424287-How-can-I-unlock-my-Public-Mobile-phone-

I am here to request this service, and can send the imei and any other info in a private message. thank you for your help

Publc Mobile can only unlock Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile locked devices (these devices almost never need to unlocked to use at Public - with a few exceptions).

If it's locked to someone else, you'll either need to contact that carrier or pay to get someome to get it unlocked for you.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

What phone is that from?  

You need to contact the original phone's provider to unlock it.

Need Help? Let's chat.