cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlock my iphone se

jenniferzhou
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i switched my koodo service to public mobile last month, i got an iphone se from koodo, i called koodo customer service today to unlock my iphone, they said they are unable unlock my iphone since i no longer use their service, i wandering if public mobile could unlock my iphone .

23 REPLIES 23

pmobile
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Forgot to confirm that it was an unlock code for an iPhone SE that was originally locked to Koodo.

pmobile
Yes, I received an unlock code from Public Mobile. The first rep I messaged said it couldn't be done but I referred him to an unlock thread that said Telus and Koodo phones could be unlocked by Public Mobile, then a different rep replied back and was able to help me out. We went back and forth as they required additional info but it was done very quickly and they took the $50 payment I had put earlier in my account. Pretty smooth and easy process. Good job Public Mobile!

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Davidd

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'll be happy to answer your question!

If you're looking to unlock your phone with us, first I recommend that you refer to this post that explains all about the process. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message!

Have a great evening 🙂 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Davidd

Did anyone ever receive a reply from PM for an unlock?

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I'd get a carrier to do it.

Paying the carrier $50 to unlock is definitely better than paying someone else $100+ to unlock.

But sadly that's not always an option when buying or receiving a used phone.  Done deal, original owner has moved on, original carrier refuses to provide the unlock to anyone else.

Sometimes it's not even an option when dealing with the original carrier.  It's a legal requirement - and a greedy money grab! - but I've learned that certain carriers obstruct and delay the process as long as possible, they're reluctant to lose business and use every (unethical) tactic they can devise to keep it.  I'm willing to admit that maybe my personal experience isn't representative of the way things really work most of the time, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen to someone else.

Not everybody understands what phone locking/unlocking is about.  Many people are actively disinterested in technical details, they just want a (cheap) phone that works, they don't ask the right questions, they don't test anything, they just make a quick trade and take their prize home.  I don't buy carrier-locked phones, yet I keep meeting people who got a "great deal" but also got locked out.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I'd get a carrier to do it.

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I would never unlock an iPhone via 3rd party

I've now unlocked four iPhones through Protech Parts.  "Full" unlocks with no problems.  Costs a lot (especially since, in my opinion, iPhones aren't worth it) but it's no more expensive than unlocks from anywhere else - and if you're lucky you can sometimes score super-cheap sale prices.  Using iTunes is unavoidable, but I just run it in a sandbox.  The iPhone never needs to go anywhere or get handled by anyone else.

@Rockdaddy22 - how else would you unlock an iPhone?

Rockdaddy22
Of course PM has unlocked phones before. I think you need to be with PM for 90days before they'll unlock an eligible phone.

pmobile
Did anyone who submitted a request ever hear back and get their unlock code from Public Mobile?

rewrite

what is the usual turnaround time for requesting for unlocking an iphone se? I have just submitted the request through web form 2 days ago. Still waiting to see any reply from PM.

Rockdaddy22
I would never unlock an iPhone via 3rd party

Newfeeflip
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah I think I'll wait.  I've read in other forums (RFD) that some people are not having luck with 3rd party.  They cost around $60-75 though so not bad compared to the $50 from PM.  I'll stick it out a couple more weeks to see if they can unlock.  Thanks. 

imm1304

@Newfeeflip

As PM is busy working through the backlog of requests from the promo period, its not surprising that you haven't heard back from PM yet.

Not sure when your unlock order will get processed by PM.. but if you go to a 3rd party now, you may end up paying PM and a 3rd party for the same service.  I hear that iPhone unlock costs are higher with 3rd party vendors.  

If the unlock is not urgent, I would advise you to just wait and let PM do it.

Newfeeflip
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I emailed Public Mobile with the info they requested as well as adding sufficent funds to my account.  I've also put the Public sim in the phone.  That was 2 days ago and have not heard back.  I woudn't mind trying a 3rd party unlocker, however I'd like to hear back from somone at Public first to see if they can do it.  

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Considering the last software unlock for iPhone was for an early rendition of the 4, having your iPhone "jailbroken" won't do much good at all.

The only unlock for the iPhone is a "soft" unlock. After you unlock your device, it will be indistinguishable from an unlocked device from the Apple store. There are no limitations with respect to carrier bound firmware.

Your only viable option is to have Public Mobile unlock it for you for $50. This is because iPhones are unlocked a bit differently, your iPhone consults a server at Apple to check if the device is locked before accepting a SIM card. So, only the carrier that locked your phone, or some sketchy third party that has stolen database access can unlock your phone.

@jenniferzhou wrote:
koodo customer service told me to call public mobile to unlock,i tried my public mobile sim card to the koodo iphone it works. before i call koodo i had tried cellunlocker but my don't have a code for me.

There are no codes to unlock any iPhone model.  An iPhone needs to connect to an Apple activation server via the internet after you insert your sim card.  That is when Apple checks to see if your carrier's sim card is allowed or not in that phone.  Unlocking is done by adding your phone to a list maintained by Apple of phone IMEI numbers that are allowed to accept any sim card.

Also, since you signed up to Public Mobile just last month, you can't call Public to have them unlock it.  Public Mobile's customer service team won't take your call due to the company's self-service model.

jheili99

@jenniferzhou

unlocking iphones is not that easy ...it's made difficult by apple .....a regular unlock code won't do you much good at all... you have 2 options:

1. have your iphone "jailbroken" by somebody 50-100$

2. bring your phone to a cell phone store and they will do the unlocking for you..mind after that you need to use itunes to set phone up as a new phone...you can only use itunes for that...50-100$

info: a regular unlock code only does a "soft unlock" with limited functionality but not a carrier unlock ( known as hardware unlock)....you will run into the same issue again.. so i suggest option 1 or 2

cheers

imm1304

Place your public mobile sim card in the iphone and use it for some time while the unlock request is processing so that the imei number shows up as that of a current public mobile customer.  Good luck!

jenniferzhou
actually i am not use the phone, it's for my mom. so i need to unlock it for another carrier

imm1304

Hi @jenniferzhou,

Here is the relevant post in the knowledge base section:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

According to the link above, you should be able to place an unlock request via the Contact Us page because it is a Telus network (Koodo) phone and it will cost $50.  Have credit balance available to cover this cost.  

Provide the phone model and IMEI via webmail form here:  https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

EDIT:  If you only want to use the phone with public mobile then you don't need to unlock it.  However, if you do wish to unlock it because you wish to travel etc.. then follow the procedure outlined above.

jenniferzhou
koodo customer service told me to call public mobile to unlock,i tried my public mobile sim card to the koodo iphone it works. before i call koodo i had tried cellunlocker but my don't have a code for me.

jheili99

hi @jenniferzhou

you do NOT need to unlock your iphone ... it will work with PM ( PM,Koodo and PC is actually owned by telus )..in short all telus,koodo phone for sure work with PM ( i use a telus locked iphone 5s ..no unlocking required)

just insert your sim card and all should be fine

cheers

ben10nnery

Your best bet is to go through a 3rd party unlocking service. I.E. Canada GSM. Cellunlocker.

Public Mobile wouldn't be able to unlock it as it's from a different carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.