cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transferring number from fido to Public mobile

shishii
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi
A while back I switched to PM from Fido but Public Mobile sent me a text saying that it was unable to transfer my current number to PM. In the meantime, they gave me another number but I've tried everything nothing helps. Also, why isn't there a customer service number? it's so frustrating asking for help from a robot.
appreciate the help!!!!

@CS_Agent !!!

8 REPLIES 8

@shishii 

That is a 1.5 months ago. The only way to port your old number over at this time is that you MUST have paid for both accounts (Fido and PM) to date.

If you closed the Fido account then you are stuck with the assigned number.

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello @shishii , I am wondering if at that time, you entered into the activation form, number transfer section, your Fido phone number and IMEI instead of the Fido phone number and Fido account number? I see quite often that number transfers using the IMEI (your phone's unique equipment identifier) fail. This happens because when you bring your own phone to a service provider, they often do not keep a record of the IMEI number for your device. If I'm right here, and if your Fido account is still active, you should be able to log into your PM online account and initiate a new phone number change with transfer using the Fido account number.

However, if your Fido account is now closed, with that phone number disconnected, you would have to contact Fido to explain what had happened. Then, ask Fido if they age their numbers for 90 days, and if so, could you bring your number back with them. If they say yes, you will most likely have to pay for a month of service, plus SIM or activation fees as applicable. Then, afterwards you could transfer your number as per above and this would automatically cancel that line off your Fido account (again). 

I've included links below re: number transfer. Hope this helps.

Transferring Your Number:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/transfer-your-number
Phone Number Transfer Troubleshooting:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/number-transfer-port-troubleshooting

WOW! That is way too far back to do anything about now. If you desperately want your old Fido number, here's an option.

This is a COMPLETE long shot. Reach out to Fido and say you want to re sign up with them but you want your old phone number. Sign up with BYOD so it's month to month. It will cost you whatever account you choose, pick the cheapest one. Then do the following. Most important thing... the Fido number HAS to be active. If not, nothing will work since this is back in July. If Fido says yes and gives your number back, then do the following.

How to port number from “Blank” to Public Mobile

First, make sure your number can be ported by checking on this link

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

Or log in to your Public Mobile account 

KennethJAdams_0-1693684970664.png

Then on your right side you’ll see this box. Click on Transfer Phone Number.

KennethJAdams_1-1693684970608.png

Then enter the number you want transfer and continue to next step

KennethJAdams_2-1693684970700.png

NOTE: Keep your old providers SIM card inside the phone until you get the confirmation text. Say YES. But wait just a bit longer until you no longer see your old provider's name up top. Once it’s gone, try making a call to test. If you can not make a call using your old providers SIM, the transfer has gone through.

Did you get a result from that link I gave? Or maybe you could reply with the first 6 digits of that old number (not last 4).

HI @shishii 

too long ago, you should have handle it then

So, make sure Fido account is still active.  You have to have an active account to port

if it is active, copy down the account number

Login My Account, go to Profile page, click Transfer Phone number and request trasnfer again

*But if your Fido account is already closed, you need to call Fido and see if they can resume the account for you so you can port out the number

shishii
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

yeah, the message came in on July 18th. is there anything else I can do to bring back my old number?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Then don't ask the robot, ask us. Like you just did.
While it might not be 100% reliable, try this first to see if your number is transferable.
https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @shishii 

how long was a while back? if it has been a month already, the porting request was not done and it would have been cancelled.  You will need to make sureyour Fido account is still active and you can re-request porting from My Account's Profile page, provide them Fido account number

if it is within a month, call the porting support team.  i will message you the phone number to your Community inbox,

Need Help? Let's chat.