cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting wont' work without WiFi

DH925
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Both my kids are on iPhones and can't seem to be able to text me, send pictures, etc when they arent' within WiFi, without using up theire data (which they have VERY little of).  This is not what we signed up for.  Can someone help us figure this out please!

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DH925 

for iPhones they should at least have 1gb/month. iMessage needs data or wifi to be used. iMessage should typically revert to normal text(sms/MMS) when its not connected to the internet. go into the settings of the app and make sure the correct options are enabled and then test to confirm it is working

DH925

Yes, you're right.  They do have that plan...  I will try doing what you and the others have suggested and see if that works!

Thanks

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @DH925 kids these days use iMessage an not sms,   make sure send as sms is enabled

Send messages as texts only when iMessage is unavailable

Go to Settings > MessagesToggle Send as SMS switch to on

or ask them to just turn off iMessage and only send sms:

Send all messages as texts

Go to Settings > MessagesToggle iMessages switch to off

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

From the sounds of it you have the $15 plan. Which does include unlimited texting, unlimited incoming calls and 100 minutes of calling.

If it does not seem to be working, try rebooting the phones. Make sure you are in an area that has service. 

Also try resetting network settings. If all that does not work then you are going to need to contact PM CSA. You can message them directly using the envelope button above and typing CS_Agent into the to field.

But that is a slow response and it’s quicker to submit a ticket thoug Simon chat bot 

DH925

So they have to turn off imessage when they arent' within wifi? and then it should work?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Most likely they use iMessage (apple stuff).

In order to use native SMS system you have to change that SMS is handled by native and not proprietary app.

Need Help? Let's chat.