cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting not working without wifi

amclennan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

I just changed to a new phone and sim card (lost the old one) but kept my old plan (unltd talk and international text; no data). Texting worked properly on the old phone (iphone SE) - no issues.

With this new phone (iphone 6S) - I can make phone calls on or off wifi. I can send and receive texts and imessages when connected to wifi but I can't send or receive any if I'm off wifi. They come through once I'm back in a wifi zone. 

I've reset network settings and confirmed APN setting is correct (although I'm not even sure this is necessary when not on a data plan).

I can't find any other suggestions in Community to try. Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you,

Andrea

6 REPLIES 6

Crash2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

-*-*-*I recommend contacting the Moderator team which is actually Public Mobile support just click here to private message a Moderator - Just to set expectations it usually takes 24-48 hours for them to respond-*-*-*-

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@amclennan Turn cellular data and roaming ON. That will allow MMS messaging to non-iphones. There will be no data charges.

Turn Messages & Facetime OFF, and back ON in 5 minutes. This will force a reset ov Apple serviers to your new phone.

Correct setup for messaging: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your phone # and Apple ID email.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@amclennan

It likely an issue with the settings for iMessage.  See below:

1. imessage can sent to/from Apple ID or a phone number. To do what you described you should be using your phone number, not your Apple ID.
    • Go to Settings> Messages> Send & Receive
  2. Your settings should be:
    • Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
    • Start new conversations from: Phone Number
  3. Turn on Send as SMS
    • Go to Settings> Messages

Andrewbs
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have you Tried to power cycle your phone and check to reconnect to network? its possible it may of fell off when you switched out

@amclennan wrote:

Hi there,

I just changed to a new phone and sim card (lost the old one) but kept my old plan (unltd talk and international text; no data). Texting worked properly on the old phone (iphone SE) - no issues.

With this new phone (iphone 6S) - I can make phone calls on or off wifi. I can send and receive texts and imessages when connected to wifi but I can't send or receive any if I'm off wifi. They come through once I'm back in a wifi zone. 

I've reset network settings and confirmed APN setting is correct (although I'm not even sure this is necessary when not on a data plan).

I can't find any other suggestions in Community to try. Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you,

Andrea

SMS text messages don't actually use Wi-Fi.  What Apple does do though is some type of conversion into some type of internet-based instant message, and then delivers it to the appropriate place.  I'm not sure why someone would actually want to do this, but one advantage would be that you can send text messages to other iPhone users even if you aren't connected to the cellular network.

This sounds to me to be an issue with the iMessage settings.  You'll want to make sure that you either disable it completely, or make sure that it's set to send messages through the standard celluar SMS protocol (doesn't require any data) whenever there is no internet connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amclennanI think there is some sort of setting on iPhones that routes text messages through iMessage(when sending to another iPhone)?  Also, have you tried sending to non iPhone contact?

Need Help? Let's chat.