cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switching to iPhone with e Sim

Monmantong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have ordered iphone 15 pro and it uses eSim, currently I am using android phone with physical Sim card, can someone tell me what the procedure I need to do , do I have to order the eSim card under my account ? but I tried to do this and it says my phone is not compatible with eSim, and I guess my account is linked with my current phone . Please let me know what to do?  and do i have to activate ESim card in my new iphone before I transfer my data from android phone to iphone?  or the opposite  ?

thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

Honestly, I found the iPhone was just easier to use. Also safer on an App standpoint. The Play Store is open to so many questionable apps. Plus I love my Apple Watch. I can leave my phone at home and go for a walk and still answer calls on my watch (with airPods). Granted Public Mobile doesn't offer this service but I have Telus too. Plus with the updates, things are fixed faster. Security updates take longer on Android as they have to go through their service provider first for their bloatware. Except with Google Pixels. Except with Google, they bricked my phone with the wrong update and got a class action lawsuit against them. All in all, I love everything about my iPhones. As I mentioned before, my goal is to get my hands on a Global iPhone 16 Pro Max when it comes out in September of this year. They are saying the optical zoom will be x25 vs the x10 now. Guess we'll see. And on a side note, as @Phil_Adelphus mentioned you can still use your Google clouse to upload photos. I pay $1.25 a month for 50GB of data to be stored on the iCloud. 

@Monmantong   You don't have to save photos to iCloud with iPhone, you can still use Google if you want as far as I know.   I switched to iPhone from Android and don't use iCloud for photos (or Google for that matter but I do still have my Google account for other things).

Monmantong

I used iPhone before but it was over 12 years ago, then I switched to android phone which it is easier to use instead of saving files, or transfer data to google. it is a new learning curve for me again, as the photos will be automatically saved to icloud instead of google.  by the way, what do you like the most since switching to iphone from Android ?

And my understanding @Phil_Adelphus  is the Global model has 2 SIM cards and 2 eSIM. This is the one I'd want to get my hands on. 🙂

@Monmantong  i am not sure if my new iphone has the physical SIm card slot

The Canadian version of the iPhone 15 still has a physical sim card slot, the US version is esim only.  So if you're getting the Canada version you can just switch the sim from your Android.

All good and I understand. I went from a Google Pixel to iPhone and I am never going back to Android again. And yes, your iPhone 15 will have a slot for a SIM card.  To transfer data from Android to iPhone, here's a helpful link.

Move from Android to iPhone

If you're using Google Gmail, once you log into the same account on the iPhone, your contacts should come across as well.

Monmantong

i am not sure if my new iphone has the physical SIm card slot, the parcel is on the way, i will find out later but i would like to ask the question before I became panic lol..  to me , transfer data from Android to iphone is new to me.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Monmantong 

When you get your new iPhone, download the PM app.  Via the app, then purchase a eSIM.  

I don't think that it matters when you transfer data from android to iPhone. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/esim-faqs

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Personally @Monmantong  I would stick with using your SIM card. You have to pay $10 for an eSIM through Public Mobile and they don't always work from the amount of complaints on these boards. Furthermore, if you have to send away your phone to be repaired, you will be required to either purchase another eSIM for your temp phone or loaner, then when you get your phone back, you have to purchase another eSIM if your phone is wiped. Trust me, best to keep it simple with a regular SIM card.

Need Help? Let's chat.