cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smart watch for child not picking up network

y2k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

I bought a smart watch for my son recently and have not been able to get it to connect to the Public Mobile network. Before activating my sim card I checked the imei and was told it was compatible with Public Mobile (the telus network). The device I have is the following:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WPD2G64/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3OAAC3JMI1K0H&psc=1

Anyone know how to troubleshoot this? There don't seem to be any settings I can manipulate with the watch itself. 

Thank you in advance.

p.s. I have a plan with voice and some data

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@y2k : That one should work. It's different from the first one you asked about.

The poster saying any watch won't work is very mistaken.

@y2k  hope this get you started:

For Data service to work in the watch - you will have to follow the instruction manual and send the APN settings to the watch via SMS. You can even double check that via the Watch interface under settings -> Mobile Settings -> APN and even edit if required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@y2k 

and don't buy it any watch,,, public mobile network is not available for watches technology, sorry is will not working.....

you need to get a device phone...

@Anonymous this is not quite right.  as long as the watch does not use eSIM and it has the proper bands PM use, it might work

Some users have success using the watch on PM with nano SIM. 

However, it is true that it could be hard to get it working, mainly because those watches from Amazon lack the proper support and documentation.

@softech 

i agree with you but is not will working properly...that person just losing time and buying and return for final is not working properly,

at public mobile network is not available for watches technology, yet and you know that....

@Anonymous wrote:

@y2k wrote:

I need it in a watch format. People purchased this watch and claim it works with Public Mobile:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WLKQX7D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AC9RFR8B849OB&psc=1

@y2k 

who is told you that is wrong and wrong.....

at public mobile network is not available for watches technology, sorry is will not working.....

you need to make sure for it do Live Chat with agent Online Activation Assistance, and ask them, visit Here link,

PM or Telus would not be able to provide too much support on so many different devices especially small brands like this.  OP is correct trying to come here for help and hope someone has used similar watch before and could assist

and Yes, if you the Question on the Amazon page, someone did answer the question and confirmed it works.  But.. there was another answer that he followed the instructions but still unable to make it work.  So, it's really YMMV

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is a previous thread with some links discussing using a smart watch.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Smart-watch-with-sim/m-p/683218

@y2k wrote:

I need it in a watch format. People purchased this watch and claim it works with Public Mobile:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WLKQX7D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AC9RFR8B849OB&psc=1

Yes, as I mentioned above, it could work.

The main thing is to get to the APN setting screen and update it accordingly.   did you find the screen?

Your best bet is to try to ask the question on Amazon and hope someone (especially the one who claimed it works on Telus/PM) will answer it

did you try contacting the Support of the watch ?  but , many of those have poor aftersale support

Anonymous
Not applicable

@y2k wrote:

@y2k 

who is told you that is wrong and wrong.....

at public mobile network is not available for watches technology, sorry is will not working.....

you need to make sure for it do Live Chat with agent Online Activation Assistance, and ask them, visit Here link,

@Anonymous wrote:

@y2k 

and don't buy it any watch,,, public mobile network is not available for watches technology, sorry is will not working.....

@Anonymous this is not quite right.  as long as the watch does not use eSIM and it has the proper bands PM use, it might work

Some users have success using the watch on PM with nano SIM. 

However, it is true that it could be hard to get it working, mainly because those watches from Amazon lack the proper support and documentation.

y2k

Anonymous
Not applicable

@y2k 

y2k

Thank you for your reply, 

The watch shows bars but with a red line through it, like it's not detecting the network. Unfortunately no settings to manipulate the apn or network. I contacted the seller only to find out the device will only work on 2G which is decommissioned in Canada. I plan to return the device and get another one. Thank you for advice. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@y2k 

you can file complaint if you have a name for that chat with agent to you getting full refund,

Explain your issue to Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,
they can solve your issue, they are nice Service Team they will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, 

• you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
    Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck....

softech
Oracle
Oracle

product like this is hard to tell if it has the correct bands used on PM.  

you put the SIM into the watch and what is showing on the screen?

browse around and see if there is a section to set APN.  

you might want to contact seller on Amazon for support as well.  Although, hard to tell if they will provide any support at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The specs from that link only mention GSM. This place needs 3G/WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA for voice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

update @y2k 

public mobile network is not available for watches technology, sorry is will not working..

y2k

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. I should have specified that this watch uses a micro sim card with public mobile. I was told when chatting with an agent it would work with the device I had. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@y2k 

at public mobile SIM card not working with your watch,

Need Help? Let's chat.