cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal strength

cat2019
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,

Just curious about the phone signal strength that shows on your phone. Mine at home (in the city) is pretty weak, most of the time only 1, if I move it around the house can occasionally get 2 but never goes up to 3 (the Fido signals I received before at home was usually 3-4). When I'm outside most of the time it's 3, seldoms goes to 4. I just want to know is mine a rare case or some of you have the similar problem as I thought that Telus should have a pretty strong coverage in the city at least.

9 REPLIES 9

cat2019

I see. Since I don't make lots of calls at home, the signal part doesn't bother me that much, but because my husband intends to switch his from Fido as well, he wants to make sure this won't become a problem for him as he uses his phone a lot when working from home.

@cat2019 wrote:

I'm using the same iPhone 8 Plus as I used with Fido, but Fido has stronger signals

Fido has stronger signals where you tested. Towers aren't in the same place for all carriers and that means there's some places that are better for some carriers.

cat2019

I'm using the same iPhone 8 Plus as I used with Fido, but Fido has stronger signals

@jaguarbass wrote:

You can try and do a speed test to see how fast your data is.  Below is a link for telus speed test, scroll down until you see the go button.

https://www.telus.com/en/sk/support/article/speed-test

If your speed is good and you calls are clear you should have a good enough signal.

So far in this thread, you've brought up internet speeds twice. This topic of this thread isn't about data speed, but rather about the signal strength and the number of bars someone is seeing on the phone's display.

jaguarbass
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You should be at 3 Mbps for the download speed.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@cat2019 wrote:

Hi,

Just curious about the phone signal strength that shows on your phone. Mine at home (in the city) is pretty weak, most of the time only 1, if I move it around the house can occasionally get 2 but never goes up to 3 (the Fido signals I received before at home was usually 3-4). When I'm outside most of the time it's 3, seldoms goes to 4. I just want to know is mine a rare case or some of you have the similar problem as I thought that Telus should have a pretty strong coverage in the city at least.

Bars don't mean much without knowing which band you're on. A phone can show less bars because the signal is available on a higher frequency. That doesm't mean that Fido is better unleess you know you're on the same type of MHz.  The phone will switch when needed.

jaguarbass

What phone are you using?

jaguarbass

You can try and do a speed test to see how fast your data is.  Below is a link for telus speed test, scroll down until you see the go button.

https://www.telus.com/en/sk/support/article/speed-test

If your speed is good and you calls are clear you should have a good enough signal.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@cat2019 A 1 or 2 bar signal has still given me acceptable service in my province. That being said, it might be interesting to force your phone to 3g or Lte and see if you get better service. 

Need Help? Let's chat.