cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam call received

wonderfulme
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone, I'm new to Canada and to public mobile. I just received my sim card and activated the number yesterday. and today I received a scam call!!!! the scammer described the whole thing vividly and it freaks me out!!!! I cannot accept this! Is it possible to claim client compensation against public mobile? I actually do not want to use it anymore.

18 REPLIES 18

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wonderfulme wrote:

how could someone receive a scam call right after activating a phone number? I spent hours dealing with the scammer and trying to figure out where went wrong! I'm so disappointed with public mobile. you're not me. you won't get it.

you got new number? the number is new to used to old to scammers

also scammers just send to all numbers. Their system can  make 100 calls a minutes, they don't care the line is new or old

What was the scam exactly was any money or info exchanged? 

@wonderfulme wrote:

thanks...

such a warm welcome from the scammer! hahaha

Did the scammer say they were from Public Mobile?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wonderfulme

thanks...

such a warm welcome from the scammer! hahaha

wonderfulme

thanks! this is helpful

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Turn your DND on to accept calls “only if” you have the number in your contacts. 

Tune up your contacts. 

@wonderfulme to add to @CountyDownIeUk 's post, if you only set your phone/contacts app to set to only accept calls from contacts only, those who are not in your contacts will still go to your voicemail. So anyone who wants to get in contact you will leave a message.

wonderfulme

thanks guys...

i got it...

i'm just disappointed with the scam thing that happened too quickly and i was so stupid....

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Turn your DND on to accept calls “only if” you have the number in your contacts. 

Tune up your contacts. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@wonderfulme  - scam calls can and may happen to us all at least once.

Wait until your number gets spoofed. That is when someone is able to make calls to other people using the ability to show your phone number on the recipients caller ID. Then these people receiving these calls call you back and say 'you called me?"

Again, these should fade away. Be aware of calls you are answering or texts you are responding to. Just don't give anyone any information or click on links you don't know who they are from.

Welcome to public mobile and Canada! 🇨🇦

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

What was “the whole thing”?

Perhaps consider moving to the USA. They will sue for anything there. 

@wonderfulme hi I'm sorry for your ordeal whatever they said to you obviously shook you up, go into your self serve account and change your number sorry if I seemed unsympathetic but next time ignore them

@wonderfulme 

all Provider the same, the scam call, is coming from anywhere, no one can control to stop them.
but there a app for free i heard about scam call but i didn't tried yet.

zulu53

It was a random call, you just happened to be at the end of it.  It is the same for all cell phone services in Canada so I can only suggest that you do not use them.  Instead use roaming on your previous cell phone from the country you came from, that way the the Canadian scammers will never find you.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Doesn't matter which cell network you use...scammers will call any number without regard for which network it is.

I practice not answering a call unless I recognize the calling number. If it is a legit caller, they can leave a message and I can call 'em back if I want. Once the bad guys know you answer all calls....they'll keep hounding you so you should try to adopt a similar call screening policy yourself.

Good luck in your new life in Canada.....(**hint...get a big parka before winter !! )

wonderfulme

how could someone receive a scam call right after activating a phone number? I spent hours dealing with the scammer and trying to figure out where went wrong! I'm so disappointed with public mobile. you're not me. you won't get it.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Where are you coming from??? Some perfect country? Claiming 'compensation against public mobile'?

ANY and EVERY phone number on this continent will and do receive Spam calls. You have to learn not to pick up phone from unknown numbers and do not engage in conversation with the other party.

You will have to learn to leave with all kind of scams and spams on this continent.

emails, phone calls, SMS asking for money or offering get-rich schemes are daily occurrences. That's life. Get used to it.

Blocking numbers will not work either as every spam call is spoofed number.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@wonderfulme 

just ignore and never call back to any number you don't who is it.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@wonderfulme Client compensation because of a scam call ?you can’t be serious people get them all the time unfortunately just ignore block the number

Need Help? Let's chat.