cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plan upgrade

unclebuoy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just upgraded plan from $40 to  the $45 (I think).  In the process, a pop-up message advised I needed to add funds to my account-which i did (I assume to compensate for the additional cost at renewal time) The question is, should i have gotten confirmation of my upgrade and why add the additional funds if I'm on autopay-please advise.

Thanks, have a great day.

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I looked.

Koodo: immediate - no proration

Lucky: only change for next renewal
Fido: immediate - no proration

Chatr: immediate. downgrade - no proration. upgrade - proration.

I couldn't find anything definitive or to infer from Virgin. I'm not bothering with the big 3. Even Koodo and Fido are kinda not relatable.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@123watchdog : It's the pre-paid way. 1. immediate plan change 2. early renewal 3. porting out. There are all sorts of warnings on #1 but of course nobody takes the 3 seconds to read stuff splashed in front of them. You need to go to all the trouble of asking moderators for #2 therefore lots of time to think about before they answer. Maybe the new provider would give an incentive that would in effect cover the lost value from #3.

So, change at next renewal., buy add-ons to hold you over until renewal, you're on your own porting out.

There's nothing that says that prepaid plans can't be prorated for plan changes. Wind Mobile used to prorate prepaid plan changes to the exact day, but one day without warning, started rounding plan usage up to the next block of 10 days.  Public Mobile could prorate but is only choosing not to.

@computergeek541 : There's nothing that says providers can't do lots of things. But they don't for their own greedy reasons. Does Freedom still do that? So name another pre-paid provider that will pro-rate on changing a plan. If not, the point is kinda moot.

I haven't checked specifically, but I'm pretty sure that Freedom still does for Pay Before customers. Mobiicity (when they still existed) used to offer prorated refunds for mutli-month plans. Prorating plan fees would be good for the customer but bad for the carrier. I believe it fair to say that the only reason the carriers don't prorate plan fees or offer prorated plan fee refunds when a customers cancels has to do with the fact that they don't have to. For postpaid, carries have to do it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@123watchdog : It's the pre-paid way. 1. immediate plan change 2. early renewal 3. porting out. There are all sorts of warnings on #1 but of course nobody takes the 3 seconds to read stuff splashed in front of them. You need to go to all the trouble of asking moderators for #2 therefore lots of time to think about before they answer. Maybe the new provider would give an incentive that would in effect cover the lost value from #3.

So, change at next renewal., buy add-ons to hold you over until renewal, you're on your own porting out.

There's nothing that says that prepaid plans can't be prorated for plan changes. Wind Mobile used to prorate prepaid plan changes to the exact day, but one day without warning, started rounding plan usage up to the next block of 10 days.  Public Mobile could prorate but is only choosing not to.

@computergeek541 : There's nothing that says providers can't do lots of things. But they don't for their own greedy reasons. Does Freedom still do that? So name another pre-paid provider that will pro-rate on changing a plan. If not, the point is kinda moot.

@Anonymous wrote:

@123watchdog wrote:

Thanks!  The ironic reality in my situation is that the cost of add-ons required in my case ($30 for 2 GB data), is more costly than upgrading now from a $25/mo plan to a $35/mo plan to get access to 2.5G/mo more of data.  I might try to limp by with the add-on in the meantime.  I normally don't need this much data, but I need backup when the office internet is down...as it is today.

Hi @123watchdog if you normally don't need that much data, the add-ons might be a better choice as it rolls over to the next renewal until is all consumed.  Upgrading your plan to $35 plan gives you 2.5g every 30-days but if you don't need that much data normally, then extra data is wasted.  How often that your office internet is down?  If that is at least once a month, then upgrading is advisable, but if it is once every three months, then your $25 plan plus the $30 add-on is a better choice.  IMHO 😊

Stay safe

RosieR

123watchdog

Thanks!  The ironic reality in my situation is that the cost of add-ons required in my case ($30 for 2 GB data), is more costly than upgrading now from a $25/mo plan to a $35/mo plan to get access to 2.5G/mo more of data.  I might try to limp by with the add-on in the meantime.  I normally don't need this much data, but I need backup when the office internet is down...as it is today.

Anonymous
Not applicable

123watchdog

Thanks for the update.  The lack of pro-rating monthly plan fees is a direct deterrent to upgrading, and a significant irritant for unsuspecting customers.  I'm going to try to find a response from this direct from Public Mobile.  They seem to be fairly generous with customer incentives...I wonder if this is just an oversight?

@unclebuoy if your account shows "available funds" then you haven't upgraded to the $45 plan yet. 

amount due-01~3.jpeg

• login to your self serve and click change plan
  • choose the $45 plan and select 'change at next renewal'
  • the system will withdraw from your 'available funds' to renew your account and not from your bank card

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could try contacting a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

@unclebuoy wrote:

Can i at this point change from "upgrade now" to "next renewal date"-if so, how do i do that?

@unclebuoy If you already selected "Upgrade Now" and paid for it, it's too late. At best you could contact a moderator, explain the mistake, maybe they would be open to changing it for you. No guarantees though.

How to Open a Ticket / Contact Moderators

1. Click Chat Bubble and type "Open Ticket"

2. Click "Contact PM Support"

3. Select "Account Specific Question"

4. Click "No, I Need A Human Now"

5. Select the link "Click Here To Submit A Ticket"

6. This opens a new window. Log in with Community Account NOT your self serve. Follow prompts.

unclebuoy

Can i at this point change from "upgrade now" to "next renewal date"-if so, how do i do that?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @unclebuoy 

It's advisable NOT to select immediate plan changes UNLESS you're in the situation where you might need immediate extra data or calling which may have run out on the plan you were on.

Even in that situation, what should be considered is the cost of the new plan vs the cost of adding an add-on for the desired service(s) against the number of days remaining in the current cycle you've already paid for.

This is because regardless of how many days left in the current cycle, it's gone when you select "Immediate" plan change.  There is no proration of service or credit for unused days.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@unclebuoy wrote:

I just upgraded plan from $40 to  the $45 (I think).  In the process, a pop-up message advised I needed to add funds to my account-which i did (I assume to compensate for the additional cost at renewal time) The question is, should i have gotten confirmation of my upgrade and why add the additional funds if I'm on autopay-please advise.

You're given the option of having the new plan right away or at next renewal. If right away...you pay right away for the new plan and theres no pro-rating...you'll pay the full cost immediately.

@unclebuoy wrote:

This message is because you had selected the immediate plan change option and is to warn you that you must pay the fulll $45 now and that the $40 that you already paid and remaining time on the $40 plan will be lost. Unless you have ran out of dataa, I highly suggest not selecting this option, but rather to select the option to have the renewal applied during the next renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.