cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

partially successful port?

LarryMorrison
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
We have been tryign to get my father's number ported from Bell for two weeks now.

Hello,   I spoke with my father and he has still not received the text from public mobile welcoming him, over a week after initially activating the SIM card. He has received one from Bell saying his service had been terminated though.
 He still has issues with the phone service though.  No mobile data at all.  And he needs to reboot daily or he gets a network unavailable error.  Misses text messages and phone calls.
If he tries to check his APN settings, they are greyed out and none are listed.   Help?:)
7 REPLIES 7

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thank you @stonechucker for clarifying. That was what I was trying to ask to see if his phone was locked into Bell.

I had a Rogers phone that worked with Public Mobile when I brought it over, but apparently it was one of those models that was the exception and was not locked. I think the Samsung Galaxy SII. It was more the anomoly than the norm though.

I was also trying to  provide information that Telus and Koodo phones would work on Public Mobile Network even if they were not unlocked.

Thank you for making it more clear though, I think it's more helpful for everbody.

@Jarvar, Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile can use 'locked to Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile' phones interchangeably as Telus is the parent company, and there is essentially no difference between them other than the label.

Bell, Virgin, and Lucky are the same with each other also.

A phone locked to a Telus provider will work as a device on the Telus brand network(s), but will not work UNTIL unlocked on the 'Bell' network(s), and visa-versa.

The actual network across the entire country where service is available is actually shared between Telus and Bell.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

is the software upto date? what version of android is he running?

not sure if this helps:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/No-data-on-Galaxy-S7-and-Unable-to-Ac...

LarryMorrison
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was wondering that too if it could be hardware related.  He's got an S7 though, same as I do.  mine lets me modify the settings though.

He is tryign the SIM in a different phone today to troubleshoot that issue:)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

received a sms from bell saying goodbye, most likley port went trough.  

if sms and calls are coming then that means teh port did complete.

missed calls does that mean some are coming through?

can you try the sim in a different phone? 

greyout apn.  what phone is he using ad what version of android.  I recal some versions of android blocked teh ability to modify apn.

reboooting daily,  could it be a hardware issue?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your port is stuck. You'll have to send a message to the moderators and they can get you going. Let them know your acct number, your phone number, address and any other info you have. Be aware that sometimes it takes up to 48hrs or more to hear back. I know that sucks, but once it gets going you're going to be happy. Good luck.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to Public Mobile @LarryMorrison

Has he tried checking to see if his phone will work with Public Mobile? Being previously with Bell, is it a locked phone to that carrier? I think there is some flexibility with Telus and Koodo since they utilize the same network as Public Mobile.

If the phone is unlocked, you can also use https://willmyphonework.net/ to check if it will work with Public Mobile's network.

Did you try putting the SIM card in another phone to see if it works?

Those are some things to try first.

Need Help? Let's chat.