cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost phone

Rsmaci
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i have lost my phone and ordered a new sim.  can i read my text messages online while i wait for new phone to be set up?

can i retrieve them after i set up new phone?

thank you

12 REPLIES 12

@Rsmaci 

i'm not so sure that Public Mobile will buffer your text mesaages if you have reported your phone as lost/stolen. You would be suspending your service by doing that, after all.

Rsmaci

a few days will work for me to get a new phone and SIM.  if i receive my held texts since i suspended the account it will be Great.  i will update this when i reactivate.

thank you

@Rsmaci 

Undelivered texts are only held about a week. It's better to talk to people and ask if they said anything. Old texts are gone unless you did a backup.

Rsmaci
Re: lost phone

Unfortunately, you can't read them online right now. Make sure you mark your phone as lost/stolen in self-serve so that you can suspend your service.

Thank you. i did that as well. perhaps my texts will be held until i reactivate my service?  hoping anyway.

tabi159w
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Unfortunately, you can't read them online right now. Make sure you mark your phone as lost/stolen in self-serve so that you can suspend your service.

they probably keep records for a while, just incase there needs to be some sort of investigation etc.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma wrote:

Does anyone know how long P.M stores text messages on their servers before they are deleted? Thanks.

I Google search and found this 2013 article about Telus storing text messages for 30 days.  This does not mean Telus is still storing 30 days in 2020 or PM will do the same.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03/27/canada-supreme-court-text-messages_n_2961046.html#:~:text=U....

Unlike many other wireless carriers, Telus stores copies of all text messages sent or received by its subscribers in a database for 30 days

Does anyone know how long P.M stores text messages on their servers before they are deleted? Thanks.

Rsmaci

thank you. i did not think i could get just the SIM from Walmart. i ordered one online but will head to Walmart right now.

update - Cell phone section at Walmart closes before Walmart closes.  will have to wait until tomorrow. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

If you had an iPhone, yes you could. That is if you have an iPad or a non used iPhone or other Apple product.  BUT you have to have the Sim in an iPhone and then authorize your iPad or other Apple product all signed on the the same cloud account FIRST to allow the use of the texting from the phones' PM account. BUT I am not sure if it requires the iPhone to remain in service, logged on to the cloud with a SIM card installed. 

I know both my wife and I both have different cloud accounts on our iPhones and my wife can receive and send texts using her PM account from her iPad and it can receive and send texts using my PM account from my iPad, MacBook and iMac. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately this is not possible.

If you go buy a sim card at Walmart and change it in your account..then any texts once you change sim card will go to that sim card and when you get your phone they would upload to it.

Once you get the sim or if you go out and buy one. Log into your account and click "change sim card".

Green arrow on picture below

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Rsmaci , I don't think it is possible to read text messages online without the phone.  I run the google messaging app on my phone which supports messages for web feature.  I think if my phone was not online, the messaging would not work.  Depending on your locale and convenience, you could go to a physical store to buy a SIM card and speed up the process.  

Need Help? Let's chat.