cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international texting

bovaj2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What does it mean when my plan says I have international texting? How does it work.  I am going to the Dominican and want to know it my international texting will work

15 REPLIES 15

Lions
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In the DR March of 2022, without thinking I picked up my phone and sent a text. Including a pic. It sent and was received. I know it was not supposed to work but it did. Just saying.

bovaj2

hi ...on dec 21 i got 500 minute intl long dis calling.  wondering why public mobile wont let me make a long dis call to friend in florida?  any ideas?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@bovaj2 

If you have WhatsApp on your phone, you can call anywhere around the world through wifi if the other party also have WhatsApp on their phone.

You only other option is to purchase a local SIM in the Dominican for calling and texting.

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can you buy a SIM to use in dominican republic?  I see many here suggest to download textnow app which you can use over wifi while there. 

As I said above...no.

There are workarounds though. You could get a voip app and forward your calls to it and then when on wifi or cell data in DR you could talk and text using that number. There's a trickier workaround to forward texts.

statusquo

There is no add-on to use if you are going to DR.  Travel to the states has roaming add-ons though.

bovaj2

If i purchase an add on will I be able to call/text from DR to canada

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No. Nothing will do anything to have Public work in the DR.

statusquo

Your plan already includes texting to anywhere in the world.  I haven't seen any add-on for texts but you can buy add-on for 500 minutes which is only $5 if you are on the $15 plan like I am.  It's very handy to keep as the minutes don't expire except for any usage from them.

bovaj2

Do I have to buy an add on to text or call from DR to Canada? Say the $15 add on?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

Pm only works in Canada / US , international text is from Canada to abroad , your best to get a local sim for your duration of trip 

bovaj2

ok. are you saying i can use my phone to send texts from canada to any where in the world at no extra fee?  So if I want call or text I just do an add on say for $15?

Thanks

statusquo

You can send texts to any place internationally and receive them but need to be in canada.  It won't work in the dominican republic.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@bovaj2 you must be in Canada to be able to receive/send texts internationally where it is available.

When in Dominican your services will not work. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

All services work only while in Canada or using roaming add-ons in the US. You will not have service from here, there.

Need Help? Let's chat.