cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incoming vs outgoing usage calculation

Rick10
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the base plan which includes 100 'outgoing' talk minutes. I am careful about my usage and don't use the phone for extended 'outgoing' calls. This month (and in other past months) I have been in disagreement with the Public calculation of my minutes, but there seems to be no method to contact A REAL PERSON at Public. By my accounting, from the stats on the call history chart, I have made only 44 minutes 'outgoing' calls and some 73 minutes of 'incoming' calls, but I'm now in an 'overage' situation whereby my 'total minutes' are over 100 and I have to pay for the additional minutes used. 

Can somebody tell me how to clarify this or how to contact some form of customer service who can look into it?

41 REPLIES 41

@Rick10 

You're counting your PM 30-day cycle, and not calendar months, correct?

They are not one in the same.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Rick10    Did you get your holiday gift of 2GB data plus 500 international LD minutes yet?  Those minutes can also be used for calling within Canada, although I prefer to keep them for international calls only and prefer just buying more of 500 mins since they're such a bargain at 1c/minute.

Rick10

Right@walker1  , I know that 'outgoing' calls are the only ones that are supposed to count, but I'm getting the idea that that is not the case. As I've said, I've gone over my call history and my outgoing calls amount to around 44 minutes so far this month, yet PM says I'm over 100 minutes. I've had some 77 minutes of 'incoming' calls.

Another thing to consider, @Rick10 , is to use voice over internet apps, such as Fongo, if you wish to make outgoing calls while in Wi-Fi zones. 

This can relief the burden of having to watch your outgoing minute allotment each cycle.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Rick10 

It's difficult to count outgoing minutes accurately.

Another thing to watch for are what's displayed as "outgoing call" to the number which ends in "(area code)-580-4001"   These are not actually outgoing calls nor count toward your outgoing minute allotment.

Keep in mind, that making 100 separate calls, even if they're a few seconds of duration each, will count as 100 minutes due to PM's rounding up to next whole minute re call-time.

Rick10

To your edit: 

the xx/100 seems to be 'total' minutes, but for me, the more important number is just 'outgoing' minutes since those are the only minutes with relevance to my plan's conditions (100 outgoing minutes).

@Rick10 

A screenshot of your account overview (without any personal information!) would help.

That counter is quite accurate with very, very few exceptions where (data) is not reset properly at renewal. It's "legal tender".

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Rick10 

Those 100 minutes, that comes with your plan are for out going calls only.

Don't worry about your incoming calls because they don't count towards the 100 minutes.

Your incoming calls are unlimited!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Rick10    Yes, as noted by @wetcoaster , minutes are always rounded up, also if you retrieve your voicemail, that also uses minutes from the 100 outgoing available.  It's  a good idea to purchase the $5/500 mins (Canada wide) to supplement your plan for those times you've used up your 100 minutes before renewal.  Plus those minutes don't expire and will stay with your plan until depleted as well as being inexpensive.

Rick10

Thanks Westcoaster:

I had purchased the 'add on' of 500 minutes to cover the situation such as this, (i.e. when I went over the 100 plan minutes). I see that I am using up some of these 500 minutes, which means that Public thinks I've gone over my plan's 100 minutes. Again, I dispute that I've called 'out' more that 100 minutes. By my calculation it's about 44 minutes - and I have rounded-up all calls to the next, higher number.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

There are never any additional charges at Public Mobile. If you don't prepay for a feature you cannot use it.

Be aware that minutes are rounded up, so 2minutes and 2seconds counts as 3minutes. Also calling your voicemail from your cell phone will dock outgoing minutes.

Edited to add that the counter on your self serve account (xx/100) updates in essentially real time and is what counts.

If you want to make sure that your outgoing call is not cut off, add the $5/500minute add-on. Those add-on  minutes stay in your account until used up, whereas the 100plan minutes will reset on your renewal (every 30 days, NOT monthly).

Need Help? Let's chat.