cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to deactivate voice mail?

psunabudes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I have a minimal plan of 100 minutes, so I do not wish to have an active voice mail service that consumes my time when I call and listen to it. How I can opt-out of voice mail to get the callers to hear "the owner of this number has a mailbox which is not set up yet" or something similar. I have tried voicemail and now it is set up, but eventually, I changed my mind.
8 REPLIES 8

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

To get my voice mail without using my 50 minutes is my $10 plan, I enable airplane mode.  Then enable wifi to call my PM number using my Fongo app on my phone or using my home phone if I am at home.  As soon as voice mail answer, I press * and my voicemail 4 digit code to get my voicemail without using any of my plan minutes.

Yes $5 is great, very very affordable, even most VoIP providers will be more expensive as they offer 0.01usd 

But if you have a relative who will eat through it twice you call them, you don't have to jump to 25, there are ways 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Apart from all the workaround which is great, buying a 500 minutes for $5 is also a worthy consideration.  A penny a minute is not that expensive.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@psunabudes 

I'm also on 13 plan (15 with autopay so i have some data)

I use my fongo number as visual voicemail and for callback

You get free fongo number with unlimited Canadian calls, callforwarding and call transfer.

I set my missed unavailable and ignored calls to go to my fongo and i set fongo to ring only once. I also set fongo to email me copy of the message

When they leave the message I can dial 1 in fongo app to hear it, or i can just click on it in voicemail inbox, or listen to it from my email

Now I also use it to convert all my calls info feee incoming calls

I call my cell using fongo and i answer, then in fongo i hit transfer and select/key in the number i wish to call. At that point fongo disconnects and pushes my cellphone conversation to the destination number so that it seems like my cell is calling the destination number. To do this fongo used only 0.06 megs of data or my WiFi

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @psunabudes 

I would suggest keeping voicemail active, since it's included with PM service, but using another phone with unlimited minutes to access it.

Do this by:

1. calling your cell number
  2. either wait until your voice announcement begins, or reject the call from your mobile device, to get announcement to begin
  3. tap the asterisks * button to left of 0 before getting to the end of your announcement
  4. enter your voicemail password
  5. press 1 to listen to your voicemails.

Alternatively, you could also place an announcement which states very clearly that the caller has reached your voicemail, but it is not checked.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@psunabudes 

If you set on your forwarding an American number (any) once the phone rigs out or is offline the call will fail add you can't forward to an American number

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@psunabudes 

But you can setup your voicemail not letting caller to leave a message.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

Follows the following flowchart to create extended absence greeting and don't let caller to leave message:

[3]Greetings --> [4]Extended Absence --> [2]Record

[3]Greetings --> [4]Extended Absence --> [5]Message not allowed after greeting

[3]Greetings --> [4]Extended Absence --> [4]Turn On

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use any other phone to check voicemail or a voice app like textnow.

Or you can use the Extended Absence greeting and not allow leaving of messages.

Need Help? Let's chat.