cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data

derekc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

Today I set up a roaming text-only add on for my wife and found the process far easier than it had been but I also found out that she was being charged for huge amounts of data. Yesterday she was charged for 55.65mb and all she did was clear out some notifications. She bought her Iphone from a friend in the US and was under the impression that the notifications, which were pre-set, came from the internet. Apparently not. When she is in California she will look into it, but I would like to know how notifications use so much data and how to get them onto the internet.

3 REPLIES 3

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@derekc    If you only purchased the text add-on, then she cannot be charged for any other roaming service as PM is prepaid which means no overages, just that you will not be able to use any service not already paid for. 

If you're wife is using WIFI, then she will see that as data usage on her phone, so perhaps that's what you're referring to?

@derekc 

55.65MB is a very small amount of data. When saying that you thought something came from the internet, please realize that the internet uses data. However, clearing notifications doesn't use any. I'm wondering about how a text-only roaming add-on was being used. Without a data roaming add-on, data won't work.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@derekc wrote:

Hi

Today I set up a roaming text-only add on for my wife and found the process far easier than it had been but I also found out that she was being charged for huge amounts of data. Yesterday she was charged for 55.65mb and all she did was clear out some notifications. She bought her Iphone from a friend in the US and was under the impression that the notifications, which were pre-set, came from the internet. Apparently not. When she is in California she will look into it, but I would like to know how notifications use so much data and how to get them onto the internet.

@derekc hi if you bought a text only US add on you would not be able to use data while there ,so why do you think she is being charged fo data?

Need Help? Let's chat.