cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage does not add-up

tbuxton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I total the daily data usage it amounts to a little over 62mb yet the total usage says 1.6gb, using the same date range. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Is there another place other than "usage history" to find the data usage? And how do I get a reconciliation from Public Mobile?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbuxton : Use the phone as a guide but the front page overview counter is known to be pretty darn accurate and almost immediate. The usage details are delayed about every 12 hours. Go back to your renewal date and count up all the Web MB amounts. See if you get something resembling the front page counter.

Your phone needs to sync with the 30 day term...not monthly.

Edit: speedy up there.

@tbuxton wrote:

Thank you, but you've missed the point. The Public Mobile billing says 1.6GB (my phone says 124MB as of today) whereas the sum of the numbers in the Public Mobile usage for the period said 62MB +- when I posted the message.

@tbuxton ,

did you check when is the current cycle start date? Self-Server would be showing your next payment day, you need just to roll back 30 days and it will be your current cycle start date.  (e.g, if next payment day is  Jun 15, then your current cycle start day would be May 16)

Once you get the current cycle start date, then go back to the phone, Mobile Data usage and see if the date is the same

When you try to add up the Public Mobile usage from Self-Serve, did you try to add from the current cycle start date?  Keep in mine, PM is running a 30 days cycle and because of that the start date keep shifting.  

tbuxton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you, but you've missed the point. The Public Mobile billing says 1.6GB (my phone says 124MB as of today) whereas the sum of the numbers in the Public Mobile usage for the period said 62MB +- when I posted the message.

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you're looking through the settings on your phone...

The total data usage may be representing the amount of cellular data you've used since purchasing your plan. In this case, it would make sense if this value were much higher than your data usage for this month. Hope this helped:)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@tbuxton wrote:

When I total the daily data usage it amounts to a little over 62mb yet the total usage says 1.6gb, using the same date range. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Is there another place other than "usage history" to find the data usage? And how do I get a reconciliation from Public Mobile?

Hello @tbuxton 

I think it is very important where you are getting those number usages first.

Your Self Serve would be best to see TOTAL, Current data usage used.

For example, when I look at my phone, I can find these two usages:

One is for Data, and One is for Wifi Data (but, I could see be mistaken for Data usage).

Screenshot_20210525-171658_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20210525-171535_Settings.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Managing Your Data Usage

To help you manage your data usage effectively, we’ll be covering:

1. How to track your data usage
  2. Tips and tricks to save data

Tracking Data Usage

1. Self-Serve

You can view your usage in your Self-Serve account by clicking on the Plan and Add-Ons tab, then on Data & Add-On Usage. Here, you will find a summary of your data usage for the current billing cycle. Alternatively, if you’re interested in seeing your your last 90 days worth of usage, you can select Usage History which is also under the Plans and Add-Ons tab.Don’t have a Self-Serve account yet? No worries, you can register HERE.

2. Data Usage Notifications

We send you a text message when you've used 75% and 95% of the data included in your plan. If you try to use something that requires data when you’ve reached your data limit, you will be directed to Self-Serve. Once signed into Self-Serve, you can review your usage and, if you’d like to continue to have access to data, you can purchase a data Add-On here too.

Tips And Tricks To Save Data

1. Autoplay

Many of the most commonly used applications like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube offer a feature called Autoplay. While using this app, the Autoplay feature will preload and play videos automatically in your “news” feed automatically as you progress through it.If you’re finding that you’re going through your data really quickly or know that you’ve almost used your entire allotted amount, setting your Autoplay to work using Wi-Fi only or disabling it may be a good option for you.

2. GPS Navigation

GPS navigation is another feature that, in fact, does require mobile data. As a substitute, you could use Google Maps, which is a free navigation application that offers the ability to navigate offline. You can also purchase other navigation applications that will allow you to navigate without using data and quickly change spending into an investment.

3. Other Applications

Other applications like video games, weather, music streaming can consume a lot of data. The good news is that most smartphones will give you the ability to restrict background data for each application that you use on a daily basis.

make sure your Mobile Hotspot is off 

Check the cellular data usage on your iPhone and iPad Click HERE ,

How to Monitor (and Reduce) Your Data Usage on Android Click HERE 

Good Luck

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM tracks usage based on a 30 day period.  If you are using an Android phone there is an unofficial app called Data Witness that you can use to monitor your usage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbuxton : The front page overview is generally the most accurate and up to the minute. The usage details have a delay but it's within 12 or so hours. When did you renew? The counter will be from that point.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@tbuxton  Where did you get the 1.6gb from?  was it from My Account->Overview->  My Data & Add-Ons   ??

I suggest you install some app to track your mobile data usage.  Just make sure you installed those that track 30 days cycle like "Data Counter Widget"  

Need Help? Let's chat.