cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data plan only but can't remove voicemail notification

Jeff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have DATA only plan so it means that I shouldn't be receiving voicemails, however on my android phone I have a notification that I have a voicemail and can't be removed, can someone help by deleting all the voicemails or just disable voicemail service? thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

Jeff

Thanks all for the help, I sent a private message with my phone number to Mary_M, hope she can fix this issue for me, thanks to all!

Thanks @srlawren That notification can be suppressed on iPhones.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite it's not a widget, which would be simple to remove.  It's an icon up in the persistent status bar at the top of the screen.  If @Jeff's phone is rooted, there's probably a way to suppress or remove the icon (maybe through an Xposed module, or by editing some sort of system property, intalling a custom ROM?).  Honestly I'm not sure I've never looked into it but I be something exists!  If it does, it would almost certainly require a rooted phone though.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

While you are waiting for PM to respond why not try my sister's solution: move that offending widget(s) to a page you never see. If you are unsure how this can be done, I sure @srlawren can enlighten you.

@srlawren All carrier's provide a phone number for data only plans. The "problem" is PM does not sell "Tablet/Mobile internet" plans. Judging from looking at phones using data only from Bell, all SMS/phone calls to tablets are blocked. PM's focus is unlimited calling and calling/texting/data. Data alone is of little interest judging from their pricing. 

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Jeff

We can look into clearing those notifications and preventing them from reappearing.

Would you mind sending me your phone number via private message? If you view this message tomorrow or Monday, please send your information to @Shazia_K or @Saray_O as I will not be in the office.

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jeff even a data-only plan has a phone number attached to it, and I guess every phone number in the PM system must automatically get voicemail provisioned upon activation.  I'm going to tag our community moderators @Saray_O@Mary_M, and @Shazia_K to see if there is anything they can do in the back end to help with removing the existing voicemail and/or deactivating the feature so this doesn't happen again.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jeff

Thank you for your suggestion however I don't think there is a need to install any apps to disable voicemail, Public Mobile should have the option to disable voicemail on their system? and why do I have voicemail if I'm on data plan only first? My plan is data only, NO TEXT, NO TALK, NO VOICEMAIL, thanks.

@Jeff Have you tried the app Mr. Number; it seems that one of its options is answer and hang up.

Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions, before asking this question I also seached all discussions regarding this issue but no solution has been found, the only thing I can do is force stop the notification but when I restart the phone it will come back, if I call from another phone it will ask me to setup voicemail by calling from my own phone, and I can't make any call to setup voicemail it says I have data plan only, does anyone know how to disable voicemail for data plan only? thanks.

@Jeff There is also a long thread about issues with VM and data only plans, that I still do not understand, which may help you. Enter the following search term: "Voicemail Access/Lost Phone: "You need to call from your own phone to set up your voicemail"

How about this by Droidguy:

STOPPING VOICEMAIL SERVICE

1. From the Home screen, tap the Menu key.
  2. Choose Settings.
  3. Tap Applications Manager.
  4. Swipe left to choose All tab.
  5. Scroll to and tap Voicemail.
  6. Tap Force Stop.

@Jeff I found this in an old thread: "Give a wrong SMS/VM centre number. Having a wrong one will basically lead to the caller hearing a message asking him to enter the voicemail number, instead of hearing your actual voicemail."

HOWEVER, I do not know how to change the voicemail phone number in any phone. What make/model of phone are you using? Hopefully someone knows.

I wonder whether changing your phone's "phone number" or blocking all calls would do the trick?

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Dial your phone number from another phone that does have service (i.e. land line etc.). If it takes you straight to a voicemail box as soon as you hear the greeting press the * button. You might be able to do it this way.. not sure.. let us know... otherwise Im sure the moderators will help you.

EDIT: you might have to press the pound (#) key instead of star (*)...

not sure if you will even get the greeting though, but its worth a shot: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Voicemail-from-Another-Phone

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
That's an interesting thing. In most phones you can remove that notification this way. Expand the notification bar, press & hold on the voice mail one, tap on app info and clear data for the phone app. The problem is that the icon will be back next time you reboot your phone.

If that doesn't work you could try in settings - apps and look for your phone app in the "all" tab.

Let see if staff member can help you with this tomorrow.

@Mary_M @Saray_O @Shazia_K

Jeff

Thank you for your reply, I already tried that however I only have data plan so if I try to dial the voicemail number or any other number it will say: "Hi, Public mobile here, sorry, talking is not included in your current plan....".

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Try dialing your number to access voicemail. See if it let you disable it. Or try pressing key 7 to delete voicemail.  

Need Help? Let's chat.