cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data issues

ElBe5932
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone will not send/receive texts unless I'm at home on wifi.

I have a small data package that used to let me send/receive texts wherever I was.

Had my phone checked out and all is good in that department.

Please help...

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

I would really recommend changing to the $25 plan. $8 less and some data. Or even the $15 plan with limited outgoing calling and less data. $18 less. Then your $5 loyalty makes it just $10. With that then you could buy the $5 calling add-on as a minutes overage bucket that stays on the account until finished.

But to be paying $33 (and minus $5) for talk and text is terrible.

Yes, that is the thing. Apple.

Yes. Just leave cellular data on. It doesn't matter. There are no extra charges here. MMS just needs to have the data on to send and receive. SMS texting will work anywhere when in cell range in Canada, data or not.

ElBe5932

no it's a 30 day plan. The thing is I can't send any kind of texts from anywhere but home - that includes sending sms. But if I understand correctly if I 'turn on the sms and mms options in imessage and then turn off imessage. That will make it into a standard sms texting app'  I will be able to text AND send images?

Is this a 90 day plan? If not, you're spending WAY too much money on your cell service.

iphones are in their own world. You need to set it to be able to use standard SMS texting. Not their old timey instant messaging method which needs the internet. With you not having data in your account, turn on the sms and mms options in imessage and then turn off imessage. That will make it into a standard sms texting app. Then you can text all you want.

ElBe5932

ok. I don't know how to pic and transfer. I will explain this way:

Minutes Usage (Unlimited Canada wide talk)  solid green bar

Messages Usage (Unlimited International Text)  solid green bar

That is all there is.... Nothing for data.... I don't have data?

on my bill it says $33 for NO data....

I don't know how sent texts w/my BB w/o issue... do iphone texts use more data?

Can you provide something like this:

You see this when you first log in.

This is my current state of my $15 plan.

The first number is the solid red and 0 minutes left.

The second is most of the data used.

The third is all green because texting is unlimited.

dust2dust_0-1667251097365.png

Adding - and maybe this too: under plan & add-ons.

dust2dust_0-1667251393743.png

ElBe5932

Just looking at "my upcoming bill" and it says: $33 for no data...  -$5 for loyalty... weird. I have been able to send texts in blue...

My Upcoming Bill
Selected Plan
$33 for no data                               $33.00
Rewards
Loyalty-                                           $5.00
Pre-Authorized Payments-             $0.00
Community-                                   $0.00
Refer-a-Friend-                              $0.00
Available Funds                  - $28.00
SUBTOTAL                                   $0.00
Amount Due
Nov 04, 2022                                $0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ElBe5932   Which plan do you have as the 250MB data only comes with the $15 plan and not $33 (after rewards?). 

If you're on an older $40 plan, then you can (for a limited time offer) switch to the 4G 15GB/$40 plan by selecting Change My Plan and then select the second $40 plan by scrolling with arrow to the right side of the page and 4G tab.  Also select Change at Next Renewal option as PM doesn't prorate and to have rewards applied at renewal.

$33? Can you provide an image of your overview page showing all your details (don't show personal info. Maybe also go to plan & add-ons and an image of that. Something doesn't sound right. Maybe it's rights and permissions of apps on the phone. Or some kind of data management.

ElBe5932

Have a $33 plan.

I cannot find data monthly limit anywhere on my account. There is a Data bar under 'Usage History' for daily use... just did a rough total. Used 11.04MB... Another interesting thing: can get TTC stop number times on data... but can't send or receive/send anything else...

I will get some more data and see if that solves the issue.

Any other advice?

If not Thank you for your time and patience.

ElBe

ElBe5932

How did you find out about the amount of data! that's fantastic as I have an original plan (is 250MB the basic you receive when you set up an account?) and an iphone...

If this is the issue - I can purchase more data. Hoping that will solve the issue.

If I buy today will the package start today or will it start on my next billing cycle?

Thanks for all your help

ElBe

But do you have a solid red bar for data? Are you on the $13 plan perchance?

This is the thing about iphones. They REALLY want you on data (or wifi). The providers REALLY like iphones for that reason. Sell, sell, sell...data, data, data.

So it's up to you to control the phone's usage of that data.  This is especially so with smaller amounts of data. Or, pay for the big buckets of data and just leave your data on and who cares. 🙂

@ElBe5932 wrote:

I have done that and it doesn't send and hasn't for a while.

This is almost the end of my 2nd billing period on account and still cannot send/rec texts unless at home.

I cannot have used that much data if I cannot send anything...I am not a huge texter and rarely read anything on line...

Checked my account and everything is green. (unlimited messages/phone minutes).

I am on my account there is no info regarding how much data I have...

HI @ElBe5932 

try turning off iMessage and try sending a text again, this will for sure avoid the message being sent as iMessage

But honest, receiving and sending text can easily use up your 250MB data, dependings on the contents you send/receive

ElBe5932

I have done that and it doesn't send and hasn't for a while.

This is almost the end of my 2nd billing period on account and still cannot send/rec texts unless at home.

I cannot have used that much data if I cannot send anything...I am not a huge texter and rarely read anything on line...

Checked my account and everything is green. (unlimited messages/phone minutes).

I am on my account there is no info regarding how much data I have...

@ElBe5932 wrote:

don't understand iMessage, sms message...

never had to do this before until a while ago...

HI @ElBe5932   you didn't have to do that earlier because you still have data left.  Look like you have used up your data this month

Try this on the message that didn't send:

1. Type your message, then press the Send icon.
  2. Quickly tap and hold the message bubble that you just sent. A menu with a few different methods will populate.
  3. Select Send as Text Message and watch your bubble turn from blue to green. 

Log in to your account and click the little spinner refresh icons lower down or use private mode and you should see current information. Your plan items will show. You might have a solid green bar for Text. You might have a red bar for data. You might see your talk. Then you might have add-ons. They disappear when fully used though.

ElBe5932

don't understand iMessage, sms message...

never had to do this before until a while ago...

ElBe5932

I am trying to find out how much data I have each month - but no luck.

Up until a while ago this was not an issue... I don't text to emails only to other phone numbers

ElBe5932

apple

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@ElBe5932 

You'll have to turn off iMessage and use SMS messages system. And turn on your data too.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like an iphone and sounds like you're out of cellular data. In the settings for imessage make sure send as SMS and send as MMS are on. Also make sure you're sending to phone numbers and not email addresses. You could choose to turn off imessage after turning those options on and that would make the app act as just a normal texting app...not the old timey instant messaging that imessage on uses.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you using iMessage?

Who checked out your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.