cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coverage issue

Justin221
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I subscribed 4G plan. Can i get covered in a 5G zone or only work in a 4G area?

10 REPLIES 10

@BKNS27  So why are members paying for the high 5G plan when you can still get 5G on the lower priced 4G pla

Because the plans are about speed, so a 5G speed plan has a higher throttle limit than a 4G plan.  A phone on 4G/LTE will work on a 5G plan but be throttled to a max 100 Mbps instead of the 5G plan cap of 250Mbps.  

@computergeek541 

I wasn't aware if I have a 5G phone in a 5G coverage but purchased a 4G plan...I will still get 5G on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. So why are members paying for the high 5G plan when you can still get 5G on the lower priced 4G plan? Unless you don't have home internet and more data.

Good to know because I just switch to the $23 plan with 4G and 6gb data that will switch on my next renewal date.

I can confirm then in 2 weeks.

@Sansan wrote:

@Justin221  as long as you have the phone with 5g capabilities,  you will achieve speeds up to 200 mbs which is still good. You won't really notice the difference anyway between the 4g and 5g speeds depending on what your doing.

Sorry, but that's not right.  Public Mobile customers on 4g plans will only be able to receive maximum downlaod speeds of about 100Mbps, even if connected to the 5g network.

@Justin221 wrote:

so it won't work or no data connection in 5G zone, correct?

Yes, it will.  The corect answer was provided earlier by htidegnow.  All plans give access to the exact same networks.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Justin221 

No, you won’t connect to 5G in the 5G zone if you have the 4G plan. You will only connect to 4G on your phone.

Sorry, but this information isn't correct.

@Justin221  as long as you have the phone with 5g capabilities,  you will achieve speeds up to 200 mbs which is still good. You won't really notice the difference anyway between the 4g and 5g speeds depending on what your doing.

Justin221
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

so it won't work or no data connection in 5G zone, correct?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Justin221 

No, you won’t connect to 5G in the 5G zone if you have the 4G plan. You will only connect to 4G on your phone.

edited by computergeek541: crossed out incorrect information

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Justin221 

as long as your phone support , you can access any of PM's 5G 4G and 3G network

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Justin221  all plans have access to the 5G speed network doesn't matter which plan your on.

edited by computergeek541:  made factual correction (changed the word "speeds" to "network")

Need Help? Let's chat.