cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't make phone calls.

Sam2016
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a provincial plan and I can' make phone calls in thr province.

7 REPLIES 7

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Sam2016 wrote:

My phone number starts with 613. And I am in Montreal. 

@stonechucker wrote:

@smp99, this is incorrect information.

The province wide plan can call any phone number in the province you are currently connected to a tower in.

For example, if you are in Ontario, let's say Toronto, you can call Windsor.  Take that same phone, travel to Montreal, you can call Quebec City.

Your home province is *officially* the only province you can receive calls.  It is also where your plan is taxed.

Yes - I was confusing myself with receiving - which I know some people have been able to receive calls from whereever in Canada, but that is still unofficial. 

To all of this - I will go on record again, and encourage PM to do away with ProvWide plans and just convert to everyone to CdaWide - so confusing. 

@Sam2016, if you have an Ontario area code but are in Montreal you will need to add a 1 infront of the number you are dialing.  Even within your home province if you are calling a number that is long distance within your province from a landline you would need to add a 1 in front of the number

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Sam2016, what area code are you trying to call?

613 is an Ontario based number, so you can call out to Quebec numbers if you're in Montreal as you mentioned in your previous message.

If you're trying to call back to Ottawa (or Ontario), it's now considered a long distance call.

You can try using Hangouts or Fongo to do this, as it seems you're experiencing extactly what is supposed to happen.

Sam2016
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone number starts with 613. And I am in Montreal. 

@stonechucker wrote:

The province wide plan can call any phone number in the province you are currently connected to a tower in.

For example, if you are in Ontario, let's say Toronto, you can call Windsor.  Take that same phone, travel to Montreal, you can call Quebec City.

Your home province is *officially* the only province you can receive calls.  It is also where your plan is taxed.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I will ask since you did not state it.

Is your phone number associated to the province you are currently in? For ProvWide, you can only make calls to area codes that are in the same province as your phone number.

But, I assume that you are in the proper province. Does data/SMS work? Power cycle your phone. If this still does not fix, contact the @CS_Agent with a private message with your account details and problem. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

What is the message you're getting?  Are you near a provincial border, and possibly connecting to a tower on the other side?

Need Help? Let's chat.