cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call control

Sparkettegirl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My son has Call Control from his supplier - It stops a lot of annoying calls - when you call him BEFORE the call goes through I am asked to enter the number stated in the brief message....I want this! I get so many annoying calls from bots.

9 REPLIES 9

Tyler3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone has it and I can’t turn it off… I don’t even know how it got enabled. So public mobile has it

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

My main annoyance with the junk/spam calls was that if I didn't answer them I'd inevitable have the additional annoyance of receiving a junk voicemail that I would have to call in and delete. I signed up for a free youmail.com voicemail account, set my conditional call forwards to their service, and now any voicemails I receive are simply e-mailed to me so it is super easy to just swipe & delete voicemails if they are junk.

Keeping their app installed on your phone is not necessary for the basic function of voicemail to email, but if the app is installed it can also help block calls from known spam callers automatically.

@Sparkettegirl 

if you have an android try downloading Google's phone app and see if you are able to use the call screening feature. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Is this really a "feature" thing though? when it's completely automated I can't imagine it's any costlier than say redirecting to voicemail?

@Pawprints1986 we can make all the assumptions we want to about complexity/cost of implementation but only the people that build and maintain the backend systems know for sure.  At the end of the day it may simply be a marketing decision to help differentiate the product tiers.  PM is positioned as the entry level of the Telus family and as such is always going to be light on features.  Other examples of "feature" things not given here include (but may not be limited to) VoLTE, VoWiFi, roaming other than the US, a call centre for support, non-throttled data speeds, 5G, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.  I'm not shocked that Call Control is omitted (though I am disappointed).

FWIW, for anyone wanting the feature and to stay within the Telus family of services, you can get this feature (at no cost) on any post-paid Koodo or Telus Mobility plan; I cannot speak to the pre-paid offering from either provider but imagine/assume it is not offered there unless you can find evidence to the contrary. 

My main line is a post-paid Koodo and I thoroughly enjoy the feature.  I've actually had it off for a few weeks for a personal reason where I am getting more calls than typical from unexpected numbers that I do not want to inconvenience) and I notice a big difference in the number of spam calls I've been getting.  With the feature on, the number of undesired calls that even get to my phone is zero or near zero every month, so it is incredibly effective.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is this really a "feature" thing though? when it's completely automated I can't imagine it's any costlier than say redirecting to voicemail? If you call from somewhere else and press * seems to be the exact same service as this would fall under

My brother has this and I loved the idea

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Sparkettegirl 

You can install the Truecaller app on your son’s phone as PM is a lower tier Telus barebones carrier.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Sparkettegirl   Sorry, PM is a tier 3 providers and only provide very basic and minimum service.  We don't have Call Control here

One thing you can look into is to set only to accept calls on your contact list.  Yes, it will mean you have to keep track of your contact very well or they will all got redirect to your voicemail.

@MrSpock wrote:

@Sparkettegirl hi there is no such service here , I see it is offered from bell, there is also a free app called call control that you can download in the app store 

Rogers also has something similar and the list of blocked phone numbers can be controlled from within the customer's self serve account.  Unfortunately at Public Mobile, there are some features that aren't offered to help keep the service at a bare minimum and cost effective..  

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Sparkettegirl hi there is no such service here , I see it is offered from bell, there is also a free app called call control that you can download in the app store 

Need Help? Let's chat.