cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apn data setup

Goinfishn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an acer zest plus phone and when I put in the sim card it set up 2 telus apn's which only seem to be allowing phone and txt. I read the thread about setting up apn for public mobile data but what I'm wondering is was there a reason it didn't auto configure the apn? I have a friend who set up 3 phones and all set up the data apn correctly auto. Is this because some phones have an autoconfig and some don't?

are the telus apns normal? is this area specific? Do others have the telus apns? or just the PM one.

My friend said his phone has no telus just the PM one

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Goinfishn

got it to work following this thread http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Can-t-send-or-receive-MMS/td-p/67110/highl...

added those 2 things top the apn

Goinfishn

ok Thanks explains it well.

So I set up the PM apn and data is working now but I tried to send a pic mms in txt msg and its hanging there not sending and timing out. The person I sent the pic to sent me one and I see it there trying to dl it but it won't come through either. Does mms use the data portion or is there something else that needs to me set up

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Goinfishn, lots of people, including my Xperia Z2 last year had this happen to them. My phone couldn't decide which APN I needed and populated both Telus and Koodo APN's.  

Its not surprising at all.  The phone, depending on the software, has some sort of database and it determines which network the phone is connected to and populates the APN settings automatically.  PM does run on the Telus network.  So, if the phone didn't have the most updated APN database with public mobile in it, it would pick Telus.  

Several people have mentioned that their phone's status bar even says Telus and not public mobile.  And even greater number of people get no APN auto-generated at all.  Their APN settings area shows blank.  

So, this experience is highly variable depending the device and not surprising at all.  

Goinfishn

yea I knew PM was an offshoot of telus so thats why the phone and txt end worked but it didn't pass data. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen.

Rockdaddy22
For some reason that phones software didn't recognize PM but it did recognize Telus. I guess it makes sense since Telus owns PM

Rockdaddy22
Ok, so the other phones had different software on them, that could be it.

Goinfishn

well no he had 2 iphones and an android he set up and all grabbed the proper PM apn.

Rockdaddy22
Do you and your friend have the same phone with the same exact software on it?

Goinfishn

Ok I get what your saying but this was a brand new never run unlocked phone. I just powered it up and put the PM sim in. Why for some reason did mine set a telus apn and my buddies set the proper PM one. I'm just trying to understand where it gets it from.

@Goinfishn wrote:

yea I'll set it up but like I say where does it get the apn? dioes it grab it from the tower sometimes or does it do it from sim?

APN settings are saved within the phone's software. Specifically with Android and rooted phones, you can actually see a file on some of them that is used to preprogram them.  Phone runs some type of detection routine on which company's sim card is found and if there is a match, it will populate the settings. If not, the APN settings will often just be blank (or sometimes, the APN settings of the carrier who originally sold the phone will be there).  On some phones, there have even been mistakes in the past in the programmed access points.

It really would be too simple if the APN settings were actually saved on the sim.  Unfortunately, that isn't the case.  If they were, no one would ever need to manually set them again.

Goinfishn

yea I'll set it up but like I say where does it get the apn? dioes it grab it from the tower sometimes or does it do it from sim?

sorry bit of a new user here

Had same issue setting up older Android phone for a friend. mimmo_L's solution did the trick. Had to actually add an APN & named it Public Mobile. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Goinfishn

ah it was a brand new phone so the telus apns must have been setup from the sim. I never put them in. Mostly wondering if anyone else had telus ones show up when they put their sim in.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I am not sure but as you stated some do auto set and others need to be manually set.  Did you find the APN settings for Public Moile?

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC:

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: Leave blank

Lithium-OrangeBullet-Jan23-00.jpgStep 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

I think you shoudl only have one APN setting in your phone.  I would delete or better make inactive all the current aPN setting and put in the PM ones

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-setup-data-and-APN-on-my-Andr...

JVCV

I set up two phones to Public Mobile in the last week. One had to be configured manually (a Galaxy S3 old enough to be without LTE access), the other auto-configured itself (a OnePlus). I don't think it necessarily means anything is wrong, that it didn't auto configure. Try doing it manually and see?

Need Help? Let's chat.