cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoying call???

Tino_M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Almost everyday I receive a voice message sent from 1 866-751-2167 with a case number to collect my information. Can anybody help me block this number? thank you

15 REPLIES 15

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @xCameron94x,

The national do not call list will not help in this situation.  The collection agencies typically call for legitimate purpose of collecting on delinquent/default accounts.   Its another story that the collection agencies routinely abuse their privilege and engage in dishonest/illegal tactics.   They are not considered telemarketers but there are guidelines that they have to abide by in terms of how often and when they can call.

Once they have been expressly told to stop calling because its wrong number or mistake, they usually stop.  However, if they continue to call then filing a consumer complaint would be the preferred way forward.  

Call them up, and ask them to stop calling.  You can then follow up on future calls telling them you're filing a complaint as they have not followed your instructions to stop calling.

Mike40999
You get help ?

you could also just sign up for the national do not call list

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

srlawren

@xCameron94x @Tino_M if you don't mind the inability to actually receive legitimate voicemail calls ,you could set an extended absence greeting in your voicemail setup.  If that's your active greeting, people (including both these spammers and legitimate callers that may wish to leave you a voicemail) will be unable to leave you any annoying messages.  You could mention in your extended greeting that you have your voicemail disabled and ask them to send you a text requesting a call back. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Hey @Tino_M,

If the collection agency keeps asking for someone else and hasn't stopped calling you despite you having told them that you are not the person they are looking for, next concrete step is to file a consumer complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.  

Since I live in Ontario, I am aware of the complaint form for Ontario residents found here:  https://www.consumerbeware.mgs.gov.on.ca/icps-esearch/compform/english/complaint.jsp

There must be an equivalent complaint filing process for each province.  This is a sure way of putting a permanent end to the calls.  

While you wait for them to stop calling you, use 3rd party call-blocker apps such as truecaller or any other popular highly rated apps from the play/appstore.  These apps come into action after the call comes in and gives busy tone to the caller you have blocked.  This way they won't be able to leave a voicemail.  

But just to block those number download app called true dialer I am been using it for a while block all spam and telemarketing calls.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Tino_M

Hmm...It is not a good idea to change a new number... But u r right, very annoying for those 800 calls

You can blocked those number but not much u can do with voice mail. Only other option left is change your number. If that's ok with you.
I don't know if mod will be able to offer anything here
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

That's the problem. Blocked calls will go straight through to voicemail. I have so many 1888 numbers blocked but they are still get sent to voicemail

Tino_M

Tino_M

Cat Sad

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What a pain in the ashphalt. 

Tino_M

Thank you, I have already blocked it in my phone, but still receive the voice mail from this number. It is very annoying

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

what phone do you have (apple or android)? You can usally block phone numbers by going through your recent call logs or messages. I've attached two links to help you. One for apple, the other for android. You also could try installing an application to block unwanted calls

https://www.popsugar.com/tech/How-Block-Number-iPhone-31863584

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-block-phone-calls-on-your-android-smartphone/

Need Help? Let's chat.