cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE box for land line.

Olive_Oyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a 3G ZTE box on my $15 plus plan. 

I had always thought that it would not work when PM goes to volte. And I do believe that our 2 mobile phones are on volte,,,,and my ZTE still works.  

There  are a few ZTE upgrades that are phone only or are a wifi hub that will always work as well for phone only. Land line. 

This is some specs for a MF27R. Looking at them I would be afraid to buy, in the event that our plans go to 3G permanently or occasionally, it appears it would not work. 

I would    have assumed it would be downward compatible. 

Any suggestions or alternatives?

EAFCECA1-3561-406E-AECC-74ED9B87F28D.jpeg

4 REPLIES 4

Olive_Oyl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks every one. Have time for finding a Volte or 5G and downward (if there is one!)

Mine is caput then in 2025. 

to pm.png

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

According to Reader Digest Canada, 3G will be completely terminated by the end of 2025.

https://www.readersdigest.ca/home-garden/tips/3g-network-shutdown-canada/

Canada’s major cellphone carriers, Rogers, Bell, and Telus, have announced that they’re discontinuing 3G service, the cellular network that made first-generation smartphones possible. Although the shutdown process—known as “sunsetting”—will be gradual, 3G service will be completely terminated by the end of 2025, after which, all 3G phones will be useless.

@Olive_Oyl wrote:

I have a 3G ZTE box on my $15 plus plan. 

I had always thought that it would not work when PM goes to volte. And I do believe that our 2 mobile phones are on volte,,,,and my ZTE still works.  

There  are a few ZTE upgrades that are phone only or are a wifi hub that will always work as well for phone only. Land line. 

This is some specs for a MF27R. Looking at them I would be afraid to buy, in the event that our plans go to 3G permanently or occasionally, it appears it would not work. 

I would    have assumed it would be downward compatible. 

Any suggestions or alternatives?

Plans marketed at Public Mobile as 3G or 4G both use the same types of network and the 3G or 4G designation is only meant to differentiate between different data speeds.

While the compatibiilty checker provided by Telus will never be 100% complete/accurate, it is a good place to start:  https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

As for the though that your cellular home phone device wouldn't work once Public Mobile enabled VoLTE, Public Mobile has no immediate plans to shutdown voice services on the HSPA/3G network.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Olive_Oyl 
You should keep using your 3G box until Telus/PM announce the date stopping supporting 3G signal.  You will have lot of time to prepare for the switch. 

Update 1: Lot of seniors are using flip phones which support 3G only.

Rogers took a long time to switch off 2G equipment..

Need Help? Let's chat.