cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“You will need a US roaming plan” text: Already have one

SomeDude
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This morning I received a text message telling me I need a US roaming plan, but I already have one and am within the 10 days.

When I logged in, the site forced me to change my password.  I generated a new unique but the site wouldn't let me paste my generated password.  I had to type it manually, multitasking on my phone to do so.

After changing the password my US roaming plan still shows up on My Add-Ons.

Questions:

1.  Why did I receive this text?  Is there a problem with my roaming plan or was there a big in the text message and it was actually asking me to change my password?

2. Why was I forced to change my password?  My password is strong, unique and secure?  Was there a password breach of some kind?

3.  Why does the site not let my paste password?  As an IT professional approaching 20 years of experience, it is my opinion that this discourages users from using password managers and unique passwords and may encourage password memorization and reuse.

3 REPLIES 3

@SomeDude 

1. I have not heard about customers in the past receiving a text to warn about password issue.  Likely a glitch in the system.   As long as your roaming talk is working, I would just ignore. 

2. Possible.  Using public Wifi is sometimes a risk. 

SomeDude
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

1.  I started with the talk and text plan and then renewed with the talk only plan approximately 6 days ago.  The site tells me I still have the talk only roaming plan.  I'm still wondering if the text message was supposed to warn me of the password problem and not the roaming plan.

2. Not sure what made my account a target.  Good to know they didn't get in.  On my vacation I've only had access to public or hotel wifi networks (wish I had more secure options but I don't). Could that have something to do with the attempts?

3.  I've been using Mobile Safari.  Specifically I can't paste in the confirm text field but I can in the first text field.  I'm glad to know this isn't public mobile's fault.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SomeDude

1) If your us roaming was working fine I would just ignore it. Which roaming package did you have? Did it include data, text and calling? The answer may change based on which roaming package you purchased. Such as it didnt included data but your phone was trying to use data.

2) Different IP, Too many incorrect attemps, Flagged IP you were accessing from. Someone tried to log into your account too many times wrong password. No way for us to know the exact reason but I was not asked.

3) It may be your browser as I can paste my password without an issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.