cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my phone be active while I port the number

TDDIMPLES
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to see if I should switch over, my concern is if I port my existing number over (which I would like to do) I understand I should keep it active while I do it and it can take some time to switch over. Will my phone be down while it is switching or will I still have access. 

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TDDIMPLES  - No need to notify them if it is the only line on the account.  Once the number is ported out, the account should be closed off.  If you were on a post-paid plan, and your already-paid month is not over, they would probably have to send you a pro-rated refund for the left over amount.

TDDIMPLES
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, using Rogers and switching. I guess I notify them after the port is complete?

cynical_manatee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

While they are switching your phone number, you will be able to make outgoing calls but will not be able to recieve any incoming calls and messages. However, this process should only take about 2 hours max, regardless of time of day (I changed mine pretty late into the evening and they were still able to process it automatically).

It was a little stressful worrying about if you missed anything calls while you are switching, but at least the text messages will arrive once the process is finished.

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@TDDIMPLES 

I ported my number a little whle ago and was able to use PM to: a) make calls while also sending (?and receiving texts) immediately from my old number, b) oddly, no short codes from some services such as transit for 2 days, c) cannot receive calls until number was ported ~30min, which was fast vs 1-2hrs as quoted.

Hope this information is helpful. Let us know whether you're able to make/receive call/texts when porting. Everything else has been great thus far!

@popping wrote:

@TDDIMPLES 

If you get a number for PM during activation, then port your old number to PM after activation.  You will have 2 active number during port.  

@popping  As soon as you setup the port via selfserve the number that was used during activation goes away.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TDDIMPLES 

If you get a number for PM during activation, then port your old number to PM after activation.  You will have 2 active number during port.  You can dial out with the new PM SIM card.  All incoming calls will continue to go to your old SIM card until your old provider releases your number to PM.

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] display?

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release you number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Porting is a two step process. Public Mobile reqests the release of your number from your old carrier. Your old carrier checks the credentials PM presents and releases your number (and closes your account in the process). As long as the number is not released your incoming calls will still go to your old provider's SIM. Once that SIM stops working the port is complete.

For my main line I got a temporary number first, to make sure everything was properly set up at Public Mobile, and then I ported in a second step. I've also initiated ports directly at activation and it worked out flawlessly.

Be aware that ports from landlines and VOIP providers can take up to a business week, so a temporary Public Mobile number is probably a good idea for that scenario. There have also been reports of some carriers holding the port until they were able to get in touch with the account owner and tried to win them back, Bell springs to mind, but there doesn't seem a consistency in it, and other providers might do it as well.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@TDDIMPLES  Setup the port and continue to use your old sim until it stops working. Once that happens start using your PM sim card that way no downtime.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Which provider are you coming from? Your phone service will remain active on the previous provider until porting is finished.

Need Help? Let's chat.