cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the calls are now displaying with 011 followed by number??

VK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Whenever I receive a call, it displays 011 followed by phone number. Wondering if this is with phone or from Public Mobile itself.. In turn, when I dial the number displayed does not go through because of 011 being there.

16 REPLIES 16

kewpidoll
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

They are routing their calls through different country codes to try and get people to answer.  The calls are from Capital One credit.

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is hapening because of your phone settings, Go to Settings/Location and Set location to on,
Go to Language & Region/Country region and set Country to Canada that will avoid dialing the 011 code

Martin
Legend
Legend
Vostok,

I had Vonage, on the American platform, for 7 years.

I never received calls commencing with 011. Then again, I enabled my settings to never show the "1" before an incoming LD number. I presume that, because of my settings, neither 1 nor 011 was displayed.

Vostok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Martin No, none of my contacts start with 011. There are other country codes, like +44 for the UK, +61 for Australia, etc. Contacts on my phone have always shown up like (555) 555-5555. But then again, 555-555-5555 is the same thing, written differently. I've also noticed if I call from Vancouver to Toronto by directly dialling the number - 4165555555,  I hear a "Please stay on the line, long distance charges may apply" prompt and then the call connects, however, when I add 1 to the number, it instantly connects the call, without any additional prompts or "warnings". 

Vostok

@Griff It appears thought only incoming calls made through a VoIP phone are impacted. Contrary to what I stated earlier, not ALL incoming calls are impacted - only the ones made through a VoIP service.. like Vonage. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Vostok,

With regard to received calls startimg with 011, do your contacts start with 011, as well?

Perhaps this is relevant. When I enter my Canadian and American contacts, the format used is 555-555-5555, rather than (555) 555-5555.

When I call someone on my contact list, the outgoing number always appears as 555-555-5555, for example.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just did a test call - incoming and outgoing - to my S3 mini with Public to make sure I wasn't having the same issue, call went through normally and numbers displayed seperated without 011. 

@Vostok did you email Public Mobile about the issue?

Vostok

I'm having this exact issue on my Android phone. All incoming calls show 011, followed by the actual phone number. Didn't have this issue with any other provider I've been with in the past and I haven't made any changes to settings on my phone. Also, outgoing calls show the entire number together like 6041234567 as opposed to (604) 123-4567 when I was with other providers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
VK,

I purchased 2 Moto G phones, brand new. Each is a clone of the other, with the same apps, widgets and icons in the same place, regardless of phone. Each is truly a duplicate of the other, except that only one has s phone number assigned to it.

Though the settings are identical, I have noticed slight differences between the two, especially when it comes to synchronization over Wi-Fi.

The point that I am making here is, even though you may not have made any recent changes to your phone, that's not to say that your phone didn't make the changes itself. (My apologies to those who believe in the supernatural.)

If cell phones worked perfectly, there would be no need for tech support, and Griff and I, plus others, would not be volunteering here.

In terms of a solution, though time consuming, can you remove the 011 and country code from each contact, and place them in another section per contact?

VK

I started noticing this from last 2 days. Earlier it was all fine.

My saved contacts alway had country code in front of phone numbers. I will need to figure this out its root cause. I don't recall of doing any changes to my phone as well lately.

Griff

@Martin 

Alright let's forget that option then. Maybe it's brackets around the phone numbers? If they had been imported from a microsoft account or something along those lines, being a Windows phone

Martin
Legend
Legend
Griff and VK,

I just downloaded the PDF file for the above phone. There is no mention of d
Dial Assist in the 114 pages of the user guide.

Griff

The thread I'm looking at here suggests that it stems from adding contacts in with paranthesis/brackets around their phone numbers. Perhaps that's why?

VK

I have Nokia Lumia 635.

Griff

Hi @VK 

I've never had that happen on my Public Mobile phone but I googled your problem and I found a few other related posts. A person in one thread suggests that it might be an accidental setting was turned on called "Dial Assist".

What type of phone are you using?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

When you receive 011 calls, are they supposedly from PM?

FYI, 011 is the Canadian and American code to make international calls. If you don't have an international calling add-on, you will never be able to make a call starting with 011.

I hope that the above clarifies matters

Cheers.
Need Help? Let's chat.