cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has the data plan been used up in less than 5 days?

Eliza5
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello

Why has the data plan been used up in less than 5 days?

Have Wi-Fi and Internet.

@Eliza5

13 REPLIES 13

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Eliza5 is yours an Android phone? you can use the Data usage page and confirm if you really used that much daylta since first day of the cycle.  It will also show you which app used most the data.  But make sure you change the cycle start day there to match your current PM cycle start day

E-MobileData.png

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As mentioned by others, your data may have kicked in if your wifi signal was too weak or off.  This may be more of a phone settings issue than a Public Mobile one.  I'd suggest you do some research on your phone (data and wifi) settings to ensure this isn't the problem.  Google or Youtube might have some answers for your type of phone.  Many people don't realize they are using data at home when the wifi cuts out.  

Let us know what the result is if you find the problem.  Good luck, there are many good community members here and willing to offer assistance.  

benfatto

@Eliza5  Look under your phone's cellular data setting for a list of apps and their data usage. 

Etait
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A lot of phones now a days have features that enable data use if a wifi connection is low quality, (which would help with slow or buffering internet connection). You can turn them off in the settings, called "Wifi-Assist". You can alternatively just block data connections on some applications as well as use "low data mode" to limit the data that can be used in the background.

XionBunny

It's always your best bet to restrict background data use on your device, on my android device I have data saver turned on to restrict that, it saved me from blowing through my data personally.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Eliza5 

Is your phone set on auto connect on your home WiFi when you are at home?

This will help reduce your data usage when you are at home.

We can help you with the Settings menu if you can let us know what make and model of your phone.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Perhaps your wifi failed or you went out of range and you have the wifi assist feature on and then the phone went ahead and used the cell data.

If you clicked the spinner then don't worry about private mode.

@Eliza5  If iPhone it’s the the square to the right and below search bar 

Eliza5

Hi @Handy1 ,

How to do incognito again?

@Eliza5  Are you on the $25 plan it comes with 1GB data ( 1024mb ) it’s possible you used it up if not on wifi using data heavy apps like you tube 

Eliza5

Hello @Handy1,

My screen shows I used 1024 MB even after updating the account.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Check your usage. On My Account.  The times of usage may be helpful. 

Just as a safe guard only turn your data on when you want to use it, then back off. Don’t depend on your phone to NOT use data while in a wifi environment. Dead spots will use your data. I assume you have minimal data. 

You can also set restrictions on what APPS etc that can use data when it is on. And set all refreshes to occur over wifi only. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Eliza5  Try this 

Try again  incognito mode/private mode or a different device or lap top or simply try refreshing the page when logged in

Handy1_0-1677266376433.png

For most up to date account info

Need Help? Let's chat.